buying a multiregion player for about £200

P

paul

hi there,

i currently have a DVD player on my PC only, and want to get a player for my TV, but most of my discs are R1, so I need a multiregion one.

i have been looking at techtronics and narrowed the choice down to panasonic rv31ebs (has their top level upgrade) and the toshiba SD-210e. i have heard good things about the toshiba, but i am just concerned because according to techtronics website, with their upgrade it will output in NTSC, whereas the panasonic can do PAL60...

i know my TV can handle NTSC videos, but i don't know if this means it is PAL60 or true NTSC compatible - it is second hand and probably a few years old.

i have been trying to get techtronics on the phone to explain whether the toshiba will output PAL60 or not and surprise surprise I have still not got through to anyone despite being on hold for over 20 mins...

now i've seen a Yelo DVD800 player which is supposed to be very good and is multiregion compliant without upgrading - does anyone know if this player outputs NTSC or PAL60, and can it handle RCE? i cant seem to find much info on it.

don't know which one to go for! does anyone upgrade the toshiba 210e so it outputs in PAL60 and is able to play RCEs?

cheers paul

The Toshiba SD210E is a great DVD player for the money. However I think its NTSC output is true NTSC and not PAL60. It would be best to determine whether your TV can take NTSC or not before making your mind up, because the Toshiba is a much better player than the Panasonic.

Beware, that the Panansonic does not have RGB output capabilities, and the composite and S-Video picture isn't all that great. I don't rate it at all.

In my opinion Techtronics are the best place to buy multiregion players. It's a shame their customer service isn't up to as high a standard as their products. I think you should try your best to find out your TVs NTSC situation and keep pestering Techtronics.

Let us know how it goes.

hello, Paul, apparently the Tosh 210 (at linkonline.co.uk £199) is spose to

"When playing region 1 (NTSC) discs the player will output in either NTSC 3.58 or Pal 60Hz- Compatible with most UK T.V's but check your T.V's specification's before ordering."

So you should be alright, but phone like they say.

;)

Cool. Anything's better than the panasonic. All you have to do now is find somewhere with the Toshiba in stock. A mate of mine wanted one a few weeks ago, but since the What Hi-fi kiss ass awards, they have been a little scarce.

cheers for the advice, guys

have been to linkonline and, yes, it seems like it should work on my tv. they've been the only site so far that says the toshiba can output PAL60. so i'll ring them tomorrow to check, then...

has anyone here used them before? everyone says techtronics aren't up to much for postsale customer service - what about these linkonline guys?

paul

Hi Paul

I have just received my Tosh 210 from LE Concepts, they had it in stock. They also do price match and next day delivery. I got it for £179.99 delivered, they matched the Elctro Centre price.

Good choice your making, it is an excellent player.

Davy Mac

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom