Buying a Macbook Without Original Sales Receipt?

Suave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was just wondering where one stands as regards ownership & with Apple with regards to buying a Macbook pro from private parties who cannot supply the original sales receipt?

I have seen a couple of deals elsewhere (& am very aware of the scammers etc) but the main thing is I want to ensure that there will be no future issues down the road.

How does one ensure that the item is legal, not stolen, reported as lost etc? I find it odd that many people cannot find or supply the original sales receipt with such important purchases?

I have found a deal on a certain website (on which I can usually spot scammers) & found a deal where by I was able to speak to the seller (a good sign I suppose) in person & he stated as he buys & sells things, he bought the Macbook Pro from private party & cannot supply the receipt. I just want to ensure that anything I get is legal.

I notice many people buy MacBooks from each other here on the forums and am wondering what the official transfer of ownership situation is as far as Apple is concerned if the original sales receipt is not provided?

Many Thanks!
Suave!

If you buy instore they ask you for your email anyway and send you the receipt that way

Ask for the serial and a screenshot of the Mac showing the serial

Safety first would be to buy in person if possible and inspect. The cost of travel versus lost in post or not being able to inspect until arrival... or worst they are scammers!

If you buy instore they ask you for your email anyway and send you the receipt that way

Ask for the serial and a screenshot of the Mac showing the serial

Safety first would be to buy in person if possible and inspect. The cost of travel versus lost in post or not being able to inspect until arrival... or worst they are scammers!

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the input! As I will most probably be dealing with private sellers, I just want to ensure the item is legal before parting with any cash! What to do in such a situation?

Suave!

Not sure about "the item is legal" part - but if the seller is the owner as well then he should be able to see its details on this Apple site: https://supportprofile.apple.com/ and do the necessary updates to transfer ownership.

I have found a deal on a certain website (on which I can usually spot scammers) & found a deal where by I was able to speak to the seller (a good sign I suppose) in person & he stated as he buys & sells things, he bought the Macbook Pro from private party & cannot supply the receipt. I just want to ensure that anything I get is legal.
Personally the fact that the guy is a dealer would put me off buying the item. It's one thing to buy from someone who originally bought the MacBook from Apple & is selling it to fund an upgrade. It's quite another to buy from someone who doesn't know or care about where it came from e.g. it could be stolen.

Personally the fact that the guy is a dealer would put me off buying the item. It's one thing to buy from someone who originally bought the MacBook from Apple & is selling it to fund an upgrade. It's quite another to buy from someone who doesn't know or care about where it came from e.g. it could be stolen.

Hi,

This is exactly the sort of thing that concerns me which is why I do not want to buy anything without trying to establish it is legit. Believe it or not, I am looking at a number of units including those from actual owners apparently & every single one cannot provide the original sales receipt or proof of purchase!

Suave!

How old are the machines you're looking at? Most people wont keep a receipt for more than a couple of years on stuff like this as its not really needed. The only time a receipt may be needed is if a machine goes faulty during the warranty period and the owner wants to deal with it I store.
As far as ownership of a machine goes, Apple really don't care for the most part. They may question it for a warranty issue, but otherwise its not a concern as it'd be a paid for repair.
I've had to take a few iPods to Apple stores over the years and only one of them was actually mine with the rest being friends or families, but not once has the ownership ever being queried.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom