Question Buying a LCD TV for the first time

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by robur00, Jul 14, 2017.

1. robur00

robur00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody. I'm going to buy a lcd tv for the first time, I still own an old crt TV...
    I actually live in Italy, hopefully the models should be the same as UK. My budget is 500€ (roughly 440£).
    I will put the device on a trolley that can fit maximum a 45" TV (or I can buy a new trolley, but I'd prefer to avoid it). I had a look in some shops today and this is what I found:

Hisense H43N5305 (4K)
    LG 43LJ594 (FHD)
    LG 43LJ500V-ZB (FHD)
    LG 43LJ594V (FHD)
    LG 43LH510V-ZE (FHD)
    SONY KDL48WD653 (FHD). It's 48" but the base is smaller than the others tv
    PHILIPS 43PFx4131 (FHD)
    PHILIPS 43PUx6101 (4K)
    Samsung UE43M5500 (FHD)

The distance between the sofa and the TV is 2.5Meters (8 feets) and I mainly watch ordinary dttv, netflix and I will soon buy a PS4. The trolley has wheels, so I can move the tv closer if I want.

Shall I buy a FHD or a 4K TV? Are there any other models that I should consider? It's plenty of devices on internet shops.

Thanks for your attention and for your help, I'm completely lost

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    2.5 metres is a long distance to view a FHD TV let alone an UHD TV of 55" even. Its next to pointless having UHD on a small screen at such distance.

If you don't mind standard definition content looking worse though there is no drawback really in going for a UHD TV compared to a FHD one.

The most important factor in your budget is the Panel type of the television you find. Do you need to view from the side of your television at an angle? Do you only view head on? Those are factors to consider first.

Are you buying a PS4 pro?

3. robur00

robur00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning and thanks for your answer.
    I'd like to go for a bigger tv, but the trolley is just 80 cm (around 31 inches) wide.

I will mainly watch tv on the sofa which is in front of it and if needed I can easily rotate/move the trolley as much as I want.
    I'm buying a standard ps4.

I can also go a bit over budget if it is worthy

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,673
    I must admit that I wholly disagree with Dogexander. It is absolutely not pointless buying a 4K TV within that distance. My gosh to us the difference was very clear going from a full HD to a 4K TV when feeding it 4K sources. Very clear indeed.

Now whether with a budget of €500 you can get a decent TV that makes it worthwhile is another conversation. I think you can get something ok, but won't be expecting it to be superb, especially not if you are used to CRT at the moment other then that it will be thinner and lighter. I expect that you'll be a little disappointed by the colours and general image.

Whether you stick with FHD or 4K I would suggest should be disctated by your sources. I'm not familiar with Italian broadcasts. Are they happening in 4K? Will you be upgrading your subscriptions so you can receive them? Do you use Netflix or Amazon and have you got the 4K subscriptions? Standard PS4 isn't 4K either unless I'm mistaken. My guess would be that FHD will be sufficient for you, but only you know that for a fact...

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Were you feeding the same source to the Full HD TV? Obviously TV B is going to look better than TV A if the content is higher quality even if A and B are identical.

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,673
    Yup same sky, although later upgraded to sky q, same Xbox one a, same Apple TV. However the point is the difference between fullhd and uhd from a particular distance. When feeding it a UHD source say from my Oppo 203 or even from Sky Q the difference compared to fullHD is clear and unambiguous.

7. robur00

robur00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Italian broadcasting is 99% Full HD. Probably in the future is going to be UHD for some events (like football). Standard PS4 (the one I'm buying) is Full HD, PS4 pro is UHD.

To recap: at the moment I'll watch only Full HD content, probably in a couple of years I'll feed the tv UHD sources (like PS5, amazon tv, ...).
    I have 500€ or a bit more budget, the distance is 2.5 meters but I can move the trolley closer if needed and I can fit maximum a 45" TV unless I change the trolley.
    What would you buy?

Thanks again for you answers

8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,673
    I'd buy a good fullhd.

9. robur00

robur00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I was thinking. Any suggestion?

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    No SD?

11. robur00

robur00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right, SD. Some events in some channels are in HD. PayTV on DTTV rarely has events in UHD. Sorry for my mistake.

Question: yesterday I also found an LG 49UH610V on offer for 499€. Would it be a good bargain?

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    You should demo some SD material on an UHD TV if you can, in my opinion it looks terrible upcaled to UHD. But SD material is the only thing that looks worse, so if you are happy with how it looks there is no harm going UHD.

Since you view head on you should look for a TV with a high contrast VA panel. LG TVs (apart from UH63xv series use IPS panels which don't have as good PQ. They lack blacks and contrast.

Once you have determined whether to go UHD TV or not you should consider size. You should always get the biggest TV you can afford. There is better value generally with 55" TVs compared to 49/43" for example.

The size of your TV stand isn't really worth considering when you can buy your own TV stand mount from eBay for around 30 Euro. You can also buy another stand. Obviously its better if the TV has a centre stand, but if it doesn't just buy your own. I don't understand why you say you can only accommodate certain size TV? Surely its the measurements of the stand that dictate what size you can fit on it?

Once you decide on UHD or not then its easier to make recommendations.

Out of the TVs listed the Sony WD series and Samsung M55xx series should have high contrast panels. The rest I am not sure about or have IPS panels (most philips+all LGs do).

What is hisense availability like in Italy?

13. robur00

robur00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could buy a larger TV trolley with wheels (around 150€, lot of money). I don't want to mount the TV on the wall, because in this case it would be further away (there are 80cm between the back wall and the front of the screen). On top of that using a trolley I can move the TV where I want if needed.

Full HD VS UHD: at the moment I'm mainly watching DTTV, sometimes HD stream on the web (like netflix), I am buying a PS4 soon and in the future a PS5 which will be UHD. But in a few years I believe DTTV will broadcast HD/UHD content and I'm not considering to buy a new TV to upgrade. I understand SD material on an UHD look worse, but it could be an investment for the future.

If with my 500€ or a bit more I can afford a reasonably good UHD I will consider it, otherwise I prefer to buy a good Full HD Tv.

Hisense is available in Italy. On a couple online shops I found:

H43NEC200S (Full HD) 287€
    H49M2100 (Full HD) 350€
    H43N5305 (UHD) 449€
    H49M3000 (UHD) 459€
    H50M3300 (UHD) 459€
    H50N5305 (UHD) 499€
    H50NEC5205 (UHD) 500€
    H50M5500 (UHD) 509€
    H43NEC5205 (UHD) 549€
    H45NEC5650 (UHD) 600€

Probably other models are available

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    I don't really know much about the new Hisense models (N range) but the N6800 recently got a good review here on AVF. You also hear nothing about FHD TVs anymore so its hard to know what panel type the FHD Hisense models use.

The Hisense M5500 is definitely a good buy and you might even be able to stretch to the 55" model.

At 55" you also may be able to buy the M7000 at a good deal.

If you wanted to go with FHD instead I would look at the Sony 48WD650 or Samsung K5500 (or new M5500 if it is as cheap).

15. robur00

robur00
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about 45" UHD models? The H50M5500 needs a new TV trolley :(

16. aoaaron

aoaaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Go 4k if you have 4k content or plan to get it.

4k in all honesty is for rich people. If you can afford that Ps4 Pro or the new XBOX or a GTX 1080titan or a 4k blurays + a player or 4k files from a home theatre PC then its the way to go for a superior experience.

If you're going to be using a 4k tv for your 720p/1080p content, its just a waste when you can upgrade when 4k is mainstream (3-5 years time? gaming wise once this gen is finished for consoles, broadcasts probably not in a very long time, blurays again not in a very long term given high bitrate 1080p is still not all that common).

If you're just planning a nice value for money investment with no plans to expand the rest of your home AV equipment, get a nice LCD and call it a day and save your money.

I was going along fine with my 1080p samsung TV + GTX 670 gaming rig, but I do have some dollars hence I've put a 4k 902B, upped my netflix subcription to 4k, bought a new 6TB harddrive for 4k content + high bitrate blurays, and going to by a 1080titan for 4k gaming (£700)...

if that doesnt sound like something u wanna do.. save ur money. I'd even argue the £1k you get to move to 4k isn't worth it compared to pumping £1k into your audio which is 9849849840x more versatile + immersive + cinematic + u know.. good for music too.