1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a laptop or xbox!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by plasma2k, Dec 19, 2001.

1. plasma2k

plasma2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there!

ok for my birthday and xmas i have got £1500 to spend:D yippie
    and im kinda stuck, i was gonna get a new laptop-
    - 1.1ghz amd athlon
    - 256 sd ram
    - 16 meg graphics card
    - 15" tft screen
    - DvD and cdr drives
    - windows XP

but then i started looking and some of the games for the xbox and i have to say they do look impresive :D esspecially wwf raw. They look so life like. and alot of the new adventure rpg's looks amazing too.

but i can't decide which to get :( the laptop would be cool for lan party's and stuff but the xbox is amazing!
    i live in the uk so wouldnt be able to get an xbox till march 15 ( i cant wait tht long :p) so its either i wait for the xbox release date over here in the uk or import one from the U.S if i did get the xbox i would get about 10 games with it, 4 contollers, memory!

would anyone out there help me to make the right choise please!

thankyou!
    plasma2k

2. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like lan party's there is still benefits of getting an Xbox.

The Xbox has ethernet, so you can hook up an Xbox Lan as easily as a PC Lan party, however you will also need to take a screen along with you (you could always get a TFT Screen and bye a VGA box for the Xbox).

This makes the Laptop a bit more attractive, but with only 16 megs for the Graphics Card, I would not count on every game working smoothly, as 64 MB is the standard for the graphic cards now, so if you want a laptop for games, buy one with a better graphics card (Nvidia are bringing out a new energy saving Geforce card for Laptops)

BTW: WWF Raw has been delayed till Feb 02 in the States so they can make it even better, in the mean time check this Movie out.

Anne

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Surely it depends on whether you would use the Laptop for anything else?

If you only want to play games then get the X-Box (and the Gamecube).

£1500 on a laptop just to play games is kinda mad.

I am not sure about taking an X-Box to Lan parties though. Are the games going to be compatible??

4. plasma2k

plasma2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi again!

thankyou both for that! well i already have a pc which it quite good i was only really getting the laptop to take round mates and stuff! so really the xbox will be better!:0)

ive decided to get an xbox, theres some things i want to find out about it so if someone has an xbox here could you tell me what u think of it and if its worth getting! and should i buy an GC as well with the money i have or i could just get a few more games for the box then getting a cube, the cube seems to have a big line up for cute and colourfull games which i have to say some aint bad, the only reason i would get a cube would be for like 3-5 games ( is it worth it?)

ive decided to wait till march 15th its only a few months away, but ive been looking in gaming stores and there all saying to make an deposit. does anyone know if there gonna be able to supply the demand of cutumers or not? or its the same gonna happen to what happend to the ps2!
    just wanted to know if theres any point in putting a deposit down or not!

what would you suggest for the first games i get?
    i was thinking of-
    - raw (if its out)
    -shrek( for my brothers ;)
    - dead or alive 3
    - tony hawks 3
    - AZURIK RISE OF PERATHIA
    - bloodwake

anyone suggest not to get one of these titles or want to suggest some more great titles i should look into!

cheers
    plasma!

P.S thanks for helping i dont want to make the wrong choice it is a lot of money!

5. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I mentioned taking an Xbox to a LAN party, I should have said that you can only play against other Xbox's (although PC's and Xbox's can share the same LAN).

With regards to getting a Game Cube, depends really on how much money you have, the Game Cube is second on my list, but as there is too many Xbox games on my list, I will not be able to afford the GC :(

You should pay a deposit to gurantee an Xbox, but I can't see there being a supply problem as MS are making 1.5 million of them for the European launch (using a factory built just for this region).
    The only thing I am worried about is that my Xbox will be coming in the same lorry as a load of Asylum Seekers, not that I have anything against them, but just wonder where they empty there bladders on the journey????

RAW Should be a UK launch Title, it does look very good, so does Dead or Alive 3 and Tony Hawks 3

Blookwake is a no for me though, as I do not like Speedboat games.

A game I would add to your list is Crash and GTA3 (multiplayer on the Xbox)

Best thing to do is to check out an Xbox review site, like Team Xbox or IGN this should give you an idea what games you might like.

Anne

6. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

If you spend the whole amount on X-Box games then you're mad.

:eek: