1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a laptop (choice of two!)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bunyboy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    im buying a laptop for my girlfriend.. im not a PC user but she is.. her main concerns are it has to be light (she takes it back and forth to work every day and the thing she has is a monster)..

ive got it down to 2 machines:

the SAMSUNG X05 LTC
    1.6 pentium m 725
    256mb ram (im gonna upgrade this to 512)
    40gb hd
    14" screen
    2.0kg weight

approx £850 once ive bought the extra ram

or the ASUS M5623N
    1.5 pentium m 715
    512mb ram
    40gb hd
    12.1" screen
    1.5kg weight

approx £1000

i know that the asus already has a decent amount of ram, is lighter and has a 2 year warranty but its pricey and ive heard that a 12" screen an be quite a strain on the eyes if you're using it all the time (which she will)

the samsung is heavier (but not a huge amount right?) has a decent size screen and a better processor (?).. it needs the extra ram but i can fit that myself and its still gonna be at least £100 cheaper than the asus... i dont know what the warranty is like on the samsung though..

anyone got either of these machines?
    or a experience of any element of them?
    any advice would be fantastic as right now im just not sure which way to go... if i could find the asus for £100 cheaper id probably go with that though...

thanks

2. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    personally I have only bought toshiba laptops - my latest one is an M200 tablet pc which is fantastic.
    I will never go back to using a "normal" laptop after going tablet.

yes there are more powerful or cheaper models available - but I prefer the flexibility and the quality of the M200 (I am assuming you want a laptop for non-entertainment use here)
    you should be able to pick it up for around £1300 these days.

Learn about Tablet PC

M200 Specifications