1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a G70 hopefully!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bambam_101, Oct 12, 2004.

1. bambam_101

bambam_101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. Im looking to purchase a Sony G70 projector thats for sale in my area and i went and checked it out and gee what an awesome picture. I compared it to a Sony1272 that the guy also had and now im a bit concerned about the G70. My problem is that when we watched the G70 on DVD through a Farouja Line Doubler, the scan lines were clearly visible. No big drama, obviously it needs tripling. But then we switched to HDTV running direct at 1080i and the scan lines were just as obvious. Isn't HDTV meant to be cleaner than DVD? Next problem, the 1272 that we then ran was as smooth as silk. no scan lines at all! Not on DVD nor HDTV. Both were running the exact same size screen too.

Is this a fault with the G70? I really really want it but also dont wanna buy a lemon. Ive seen lots of CRT's and love them but definately cant live with clearly visible scan lines. Also, I intend on using the Iscan HD+ with whatever unit i buy. Is this a good unit? Any opinions?

Thanks in advance guys.

Scott

2. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Scott,

The G70 has 8" tubes, compared with 1272s 7+" tubes. You will notice scan lines definitely on line doubled material (480P/576P), and 1080i is interlaced, so again you will notice scan lines on this also, but it is fine a little way away from the screen.

What condition is the G70 in? How much are you paying?

I used to have a G70 (sold it due to moving) and it is an amazing machine.

3. bambam_101

bambam_101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The G70 is selling for about $4k AUD with 1600 hours on the tubes and the chassis. Seems a little cheap but only a little. Most of them sell here for around $5k and for as much as $7-8K with new tubes.

How do i get rid of the scan lines? Im sitting about 4 metres away from the screen and its a 110" diagonal 16:9. Im quite close to the screen but the whole reason for buying a CRT is to be able to do this without seeing the flywire of a DLP projector that i currently use. Am i better off buying a 7" CRT? I saw a friends Barco Cine 7 LT on a 110" screen on DVD and HDTV and not one scan line was visible. I would expect that the G70 would kill a projector of that quality. Does this mean all 8" CRT's will look like this? Would running HDTV at 720P help?

thanks for your help again!

Scott

4. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I'm very surprised that you can see scalines on 1080i at 4 metres away. At 720P the scalines should only be visible very close to the screen.

5. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Remember the 8" tubes can resolve far more information than the 7". The reason you are probably not seeing scan lines on your 7" is because it can't show the HDTV images properly and is therefore considerably more 'blurred', removing the accuracy of each line 'drawn' by the G70. The G70 will absolutely outperform the 1272 on every level.
    If you must sit that close to the screen and you can see the scan lines, then invest in a proffesional scaler i.e either Crystalio or Lumagen HDP. These can upconvert the scan lines to higher resolution and thus, remove the scan lines.
    Go with the G70.

Of course subject to checking tube wear etc

6. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    You'll definitely need a decent scaler to get rid of the scanlines on the G70 (and any other decent 8" CRT). On my Cine 7LT, line double/progressive scan is fine - I don't see any scan lines at all. It's just not enough for 8" or 9" tubes. The G70 is the better projector, no question about that.

7. bambam_101

bambam_101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

So are you saying that i should switch the set top box to 720P and it should make the scan lines less visible as compared to 1080i?

8. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    720P is progressive, and in some people's view it is a better format than 1080i which is interlaced.

The interlacing process makes scan lines more visible. I have to say, on my G70, on an 80x45" 16:9 screen, 1080i looked spectacular from 1.5 - 2x the viewing distance away.

9. bambam_101

bambam_101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Just out of curiosity, how would your Cine 7 compare to an older projector like a NEC 6PG XTRA or the Sony 1272QM? Only reason I ask is cause my work said they would offload their Cine 7LT to me at a dirt cheap price and it is brand new with only 150 hours on it. (I know cause i installed it myself).

Cheers

10. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I haven't seen the other two and don't know much about them so can't really comment.

11. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the G70 to love 720p,no visible scanlines at 10ft.

The fact that the G70 shows scanlines at 1080i should be considered a strength not a weakness!

I had a G70 recently with only 343 hrs and perfect tubes that I sold for 2750,market value for these is about 3k now.

The Cine 7(708) is a nice little machine and quite bright,But the Nec 6PG will have better colours and slightly deeper blacks i.m.h.o.,If you can find a PG Extra that is brighter you could get a good deal-the Runco variant was the IDP-980 If I recall correctly.

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    A SonyG70 (or any other EMF 8" projector) should make the scan lines very visable at both 1080i and 720p these are both reasonably low resoloution sources. But at the correct viewing distance Of about 1.5 to 2 times the screen width away it should not be distracting. If they do become a problem then use the Electromagnetic focus to back the sharpness off a little for that source. Alternativly use a scaller that can upconvert HDTV.