1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a first/best pro-ish dv camera

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by arthura, Jun 20, 2002.

1. arthura

arthura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a dv camera with the best possible picture quality, i want to make movies so the end result ust be at broadcast or just under. I have done a little research and am a little confused about what is the best quailty of image-

3 ccd gives great colour right? does it effect resolution at all?

1 ccd with mega pixel? what?

500 horizontal lines? is this just below broadcast how close is it in relation to what i want?

I dont have a lot of money to spen here, around 800 tops if its not on HP(higher perch.) what do you recomend? shold i go all out and get a xl1 or v1000? or are there alternatives with close to the same budget?

ps. i am a bit nervous about buying second hand, what are your thoughts?
    :confused:

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Be very careful with second-hand.

3ccd is the way to go for video but less good for stills. If you can get one for the budget, the ideal is 3ccd and optical image stabilisation.

If you can't stretch to 3 ccd, stick with either Sony or Panasonic

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The cheapest 3CCD camcorder I know of is the Panasonic DX110 - advertised at £899 by a couple of places (check the camcorder magazines).

The reason it's so cheap is because it's a pretty old model now (1998 I think) and has been superceded twice (by the MX300 and now the MX350) but it's supposed to be very good nonetheless - the only thing it doesn't have is an optical image stabiliser.

Reviews are few and far between but there's small amount on it here - http://www.yourwishlist.com/topten_camcorders.php

The MX300 would probably be better but you're talking about £1200.

At the end of the day, if you're buying new, the DX110 is the only way that you are going to get 3CCDs and broadcast quality recordings for under £900.

Hope this helps.

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I second that. I wasn't aware the DX110 was still available. It is good and will show up anything with a single chip.
    The 300 and 350 are better still, better lenses, optical stab etc. But, if the budget won't stretch....

I'd find it hard to justify the extra cost anyway.

5. classicencores

classicencores

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using 2 DX110 cameras for a couple of years now and have nothing but praise for the overall quality.
    Pictures are very good - one or two very small niggles
    1. the zoom conrol is not very sensitive
    2. The auto sound level control tends to pump the sound up and down. I use -5 or -10 db manual setting.

If they are still around at the prices quoted (£899) I would not hesitate. I might even buy another one for myself at that price!!!!

Peter