• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Buying a few things for my home cinema - what would be a good bargain?

V777777

Standard Member
Hi, im preparing to buy the follow things from sevenoaks sound and vision.

What would be a 'good' price to pay from them? ie. Do you think they would come down on their retail prices in order to make me buy everything from them?

CENTRE B&W HTM62 £279.99 sevenoaks

SURROUND B&W M1 PAIR (BLACK) £248.90 superfi

FRONT HIGH B&W M1 PAIR (BLACK) £248.90 superfi

SUBWOOFER B&W ASW608 £349.00 sevenoaks

SPEAKER STANDS ATACAMA NEXUS I 600mm (BLACK) £79.99 sevenoaks

SPEAKER CABLES 1. QED SILVER ANN. XT 8M
£31.60 (@£3.95/m) ebay

2. QED SILVER MICRO 10M
£30.00(@£3.00/m) richersounds

PLUGS 8*GOLD PLATED PLUGS £10.00 amazon

HDMI QED PERFORMANCE 1.4 10M £75.00 ebay

SUBWOOFER CABLE QED PROFILE 3M £18.45 amazon

OPTICAL CABLE QED PROFILE 1M £18.00 tesco

ANTENNA EXTENSION 10M CABLE + F-PLUG BUCKET ADAPTER £19.00 (@£1.50/m) maplins

It totals £1400 if I buy it from various sources like this. If they sold me all of it for £1400, would that be a fair price to pay?

Thanks for reading,
Vt

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Not sure of your speaker choice.
Very large centre and very small fronts and rears?

Would you not be better off with the B&W 685 package?

What is the speaker stand for, too small for the centre.

The 686 system is £1300, ask to throw in the cables and call it £1400.

V777777

Standard Member
Hi

Sorry my list wasnt really clear (at all!)

At the moment I have a pair of 685s and an amplifier with 7.1 output and want to complete the front sound stage with the htm62 centre

The front high speakers and the back speakers I was going to compromise with the M1s because I dont know if the 686s can be wall mounted effectively. So essentially I would have the front/centre/sub of the 685 package with different satellites. Do you think buying the 686s would be a better idea - can they be wall mounted?

The stand comes in a pair and is for the 685 front speakers.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would be tempted to swap the sub for a BK Electronics one instead. B&W subs tend to be expensive for what they are. For that price you could get the XLS200 which would be a very good sub for the money.
I would also say you are probably spending too much on your cabling too. SOmething like Van Damme Blue will be fine for all you speakers cable (although could get away with less). All you really need is 2.5mm or larger oxygen free copper cable. There is also no need to spend more than £10 on a sub or optical cable (have a look in the cable section or one of the cable sellers on here for ideas).

ubistonk

Standard Member
I agree about the cables. I also don't think there is any point spending more than £5 on an HDMI cable. I have used £60 HDMI cables, and and HDMI cable costing £2, and there is zero difference in performance IMO.

IanS 01

Established Member
Just to comment on the age old scam of higher end shops (and Curries) asking for £60 for a hdmi cable: don't do it. Totally unnecessay. It's 1s and 0s. They get through or they don't. Would you replace a USB cable to get a better quality print-out? Either they work or they fail catastrophically with total digital pic or sound breakup.

V777777

Standard Member
Sure ok thanks very much for the input guys, ive revised my list to get cheaper wires and changed over to the XLS200 and also the 686s. Thanks again!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom