1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KoKelly, Oct 15, 2004.

1. KoKelly

Standard Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi All,
    I have to say from reading the forums that many of you know the deepest inner workings of DVD recorders and the pros and cons of the formats and so on! However poor old me is absolutely bambozzled by it all, so I am hoping that some of you can translate for me so that I may be much clearer.

I dont need a state of the art recorder ( unless someone can tell me why a machine of £1000 is worth paying for )! I want to transfer on a number of VHS tapes that I recorded from a video camera many years ago, so I assume I can do that via the scart in connection. I want to then put the recordings on the Hard disk of my pc to edit and perhaps add on music or slide shows and the put onto a DVD which I can give to family and friends. I will want to record programmes from the TV as I have sky digital ( but not sky+ ) so I assume I can connect this via scart too.

I am thinking of the Liteon 5005, but on the review they mention some things I do not understand. It doesnt have a RGB input/output. Is this very noticeable in quality and will it impact on my recordings?
    It says it has an American style analogus tuner and its up to you to turn off any channels you dont require! Is this important since I would be recording from sky via the scart?
    The tuner is mono sound only, so presumably recording from sky will be mono only or does this only effect recording via the tuner?

I may be better looking at a Sony dual format machine, although these are more pricey!

Your help/observations are appreciated!