1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a DV camcorder in the states - issues?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by scotte, May 30, 2005.

1. scotte

scotte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a new DV camcorder in the States next month (model I'm after is way cheaper over there).
    Can anyone tell me how I'd charge the batteries when back in this country given we have a different power supply?
    Also are there any PAL / NTSC issues I should be aware of?

Cheers.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Ho Hum - here we go again :rolleyes:

This Thread should cover everything you need to know.

Mark.

3. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, just read one of the many threads on this.

My personal opinion is this - don't bother!

1. NTSC is inferior to PAL.
    2. Possible warranty problems if camcorder goes wrong.
    3. If sharing your footage with relatives, they may not all be able to view NTSC footage (might not be an issue for you).
    4. A cheap camcorder can become quite expensive if you're caught when going through customs.
    5. Look around on the web, and you should be able to find a PAL version of the model you're after fairly close in price to US prices.

4. scotte

scotte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I did have a quick search so I'm not sure how I managed to miss all those threads. I think I've got all the info I need and I think you could be right - it's possibly not worth the hassel!

I'm thinking of either the Sony DCR-DVD403E or the DCR-HC90E. Am I right in saying that the picture quality of the DVD cams is still not as good as the DV tapes? Although it's easier to edit the DVD movies.

Cheers.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    No, the DVD cams are not as good as DV cams.
    The problem with the DVD cams is that they are compressing the files in real time and therefore if you have fast moving action the compression can not keep up with workload. Therefore you get dropped frames.

DVD footage is not easier to edit IMO. It may be quicker to get it onto the PC, but as it is highly compressed the editing can be very problematic with the edits being far from frame perfect which is easy from DV/AVI. Some editing software wont even work with MPEG files.

Mark.

6. scotte

scotte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for confirming what I thought Mark. Looks like I'll be going for the HC90 then.

Cheers.