Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Buying a Domain Name

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JamesL, Jan 1, 2005.

1. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hopefully this isn't too off topic for this forum. I am interested in buying a 'proper' URL for my website. Can anyone offer any advice on where is the best place to conduct such as transaction. I had a look at register.com and the price seems OK ($90 for 2 years) - but has anyone had dealings with them before?

Also my website is hosted by my ISP. I assume once I've purchased my domain name I will be able to 'point' it towards the proper URL of the home page on my own site? Can anyone confirm this.

Many thanks!

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    yes you should be able to do this most providers.

I tried 123reg.co.uk and they were good in my opinion although i dont know if stuff has changed since then..

3. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi James,

This is one to consider www.just-the-name.co.uk they have a search where you can put in the names you want and it will come up with all the options i.e. co.uk , com etc and tell you whether they are available, they charge £10 for a co.uk addresses for the first 2 years, then after that its £10 for every additional 2 years, you also get a control panel where you control you mail routing and web page routing, although there is an additional charge if you want to direct people to your web invisibly ( none invisible means that people will see your service providers address when the page is reached and not your domain)
    I use them myself and they provide a great service
    hope this helps

Steve

4. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    Also try directnic.

I have used a few and these are very well set out. Nice and easy to use. 9/10 from me

http://www.directnic.com/