Buying a Digital Camera

norderney

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife is thinking about buying a Digital Camera. She currently uses a FujiFilm APS Camera.

She is looking to spend about £400 to £500, and has been told to buy a camera with 3-4MP.

She would like a camera with Zoom. Her APS Camera offers features such as Night Time Portrait and Red Eye Reduction etc. She particularly likes these features.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

read the 'sticky' thread at the top of this section of the forums. Follow the links to the review sites to see what the cameras are all about. You can get a lot of camera for your budget. You need to look at a few and decide what features you want and what style of camera you like.
Most at that price range will have the features you mention (mine does - Olympus c5050z and now £500)

Noderney,

First thing, ignore people who tell you what technical features to get.

Important thing is to decide what you really want from the camera.

If you want it to email to friends and family then a 1Mp camera would do. If its for 6X4 prints then 2 would do and so on.

The budget you have will get you a very very good camera that will be feature rich, so the question is are you likely to use these features. For example that would get you a canon S45 which will do night portraits and red eye, but it would also give you manual override, manual focus, eposure compensation, photostitching aid, etc. If you are unlikely to use these you could halve your budget and still get a good camera. Kodak do some very good point and shoot 3-4Mp cameras in the £200-£250 range. All the traditional camera companies (Fuji, pentax, canon, olympus, minolta) all do excellent cameras in the £400 range and its very much down to your individual needs as to which is best. Even, tho it pains me to say, Sony make decent cameras.

On the subject of red eye. Red eye reduction operates on the principle of a pre flash that reduces the size of the pupil before taking the photo. It doesnt eliminate red eye. But this is something you can get rid of completely with software so I wouldnt choose a camera on the basis it didnt come with this altho most do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom