Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I wont buy one because of negative feedback

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I wont buy one - too high spec

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
G

graham.myers

With all the animosity that seems to be stacking up against Denon UK, I was just wondering would anybody reading these forums actually buy one of thier players?

So lets have a poll. I don't think this will break forums rules, apologies mods if it does.

I still want one (I think) depsite the mutterings here

so have you got one etc etc

rather than the I hate Denon because threads, I thought if Denon could see how many people are potentially looking at getting one (like me) but are put off it might gee them up a bit rahter then every Tom, Dick and Harriet ringing Hayden Labs and moaning.

lets not turn this into a rant thread though eh guys.

Buying purely on PQ, Denon DVD-3800.
Fingers crossed Arcam will bring out an SI504 , PP , MR , DVD-Audio ( SACD too ! ) equivalent at similar money, then it would be a toss of a coin between the two.
I don't know whether to believe the tale about 3800 firmware mods blowing internal boards :eek:

I don't intend to comment on any particular players made by others - it's not appropriate or ethical.

625 progressive video already exists in the DV88 Plus. You can add a Silicon Image board as well if you wish (SiI503 not 504, but there is very little difference in performance, just that the 503 needs a bit more power as it's on a 0.35 rather than a 0.18 micron process). The extra performance gain of the SiI board is IMO small over Zoran's own PS engine but it does allow you to run interlaced and PS outputs simultaneously, e.g. for multiroom use.

As to DVD-Audio, the 88 Plus is ready for this - you just need to add the appropriate DAC board and software. The hardware is sorted, but there is more work to be done on the SW (we are working very hard on this right now!). If you buy an 88 Plus today, we will undertake to do this upgrade later, for just the difference in cost between the 88 Plus and the DVD-A equipped player, which is due very early in the new year. I estimate £200. Forget SACD though.

With regard to CD and general audio performance, on the tests our reps have been doing in stores against the competition, the 88 Plus is clearly better than even players costing several thousands of pounds. There are a number of reasons for this, not least the separate audio and video clocks, which gives outstanding jitter performance in the Arcam designs. We also support and write our own firmware here in the UK :)

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom