Buying a Davis DL450 - is this OK?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dodgey2, Jul 19, 2001.

1. dodgey2

dodgey2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have been wanting a projector for years now. I have the requirements:

1. It must be under £3000 (screen extra)
    2. It must be natural looking
    3. It must be quiet

I have only ever been able to demo the Davis DL450 and the cinema 1. I can only really buy on the basis of a demo. I was indeed very impressed (DL 450). Hardly any zaggies, great picture, quiet unit.

The problem is that I can't demo the competition (MT1, 3 etc).

Anyone got any views / experience with the DL 450, or maybe demoed it against the competition....

2. dodgey2

dodgey2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, since posting I have ascertaind:

1. Davis is in some kind of trouble?
    2. You have to have the lamp changed by a dealer (AV of course :) )
    3. It's scaler (the thing, as I understand, that deals with 16:9 mode) is pants, and I should use the modes on my dvd player instead?

Sod the budget. I'll go upi to £4000. BUT, I want a projector I can order, plug in, and have no serious complaints for years. I want to be amazed for £4000. Maybe the 10HT?

help!!!

3. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I cant speak for the others but if you decide Davis go for the DLS8 over the DL450, its pretty much identical except its much brighter and well worth the small additional outlay. One downside however is that the bulb only lasts for 2000 hours although thats a hell of a long time in reality for most people. As someone who has owned both I personally consider that its a small price to pay.
    Cheers MikeD

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi dodgey2,

I had a 450 for 2 years.

Very good video quality for the money. By far the best SVGA model I could find at the time (can't comment on current models). I tried it alongside several other LCD and DLP models.

When I upgraded I compared the 450 to the Sony 16:9 LCD and I thought the 450 compared surprisingly well.

Not bright enough. Actually not too big a problem for movies - most people have the contrast/brightness cranked up way too high anyway. More of a problem for presentations and games.

Build quality not so good. The s-video input on mine failed.

A bit noisey but all DLPs and LCDs are.

Leaks lots of light from the casing.

Support from Davis and Davis UK (gone now) has been pretty poor although they did let me trade it in for a new model when I had problems which is pretty damn good.

If I had sub-3K to spend on a projector purely for home cinema (and it could not be CRT) I'd still consider the DL450.

Why not hold onto your money until after attending Gordon's EVENT !

Cheers
    Gary

p.s. If Davis really are packing it in, you might want to look at trying to get a replacement bulb if you buy it..I just emailed them for a price..

[ 20-07-2001: Message edited by: Gary Palmer ]

5. dannyc

dannyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dodgy,

I might have a used DL450 for sale for the right price if your interested. It's hooked up to a HTPC in my flat right now and if your in London your more than welcome to come and see it in action. I've recently changed to a Plus Up1100 XGA model and so the DL450 is spare. I also have to spare bulbs. Drop me a private e-mail.

Dan

[email protected]