1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Centre Speaker This Week - £100 Budget

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bwstsw, Oct 7, 2003.

1. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey again guys,

I have decided that I am going to make another upgrade to my HC setup while I am on a spending spree. I need a good centre speaker to buy this week sometime, I have tried ebay buy to no joy. Can anyone recommend a site for me to buy one from, budget is £100, I want one with good dialogue and effects etc...

2. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what front speakers are you using? it is best to buy the one that matches the fronts.

3. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using my mums old Technics 100w front speakers, 3 way...veyr good actually for their age :) Do the job untill I can get some newer ones.

4. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a new centre how about the KEF Coda 80? Empire Direct for £120.00...

[​IMG]

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Buy some new fronts eg. Mission or Kef or Tannoy, etc and use one of the Technics as a centre. Then buy a matching centre for your new fronts later.

6. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, as nobber says its worth planning for the long term, if you're going to buy new main speakers then it's worth buying matching a centre now...
    so, what kind of mains you planning on buying, if you're not sure, then what kind of budget etc..?

7. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I cant really afford it right now to get front mains. In about 2 years when I move to get my own house I will likelly do a huge upgrade then anyway. I really was going to stick with the Technics as fronts, keep the entry-mid range Sony amp, with matching Sony DVD player, with the new BK sub, 2 Sony surrounds and invest in a new array of QED cables....but all I really need is a good new centre speaker (for now)...In my currect situation (if all the above works in tandem and perfectly) then I will be happy for a good 2 years until I move. In my room its quite hard to place even larger speakers (fronts), the Technics are mounted via wooden shelves on the wall. I will gladly take pictures and post them (does anyone know how I can go about this, how I'd take digi pics and upload them etc?)...

Regarding the centre though over at AVLand I have seen the following for a reasonable?!? £79.95:

The Mission M3C1 Centre Speaker

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Better remove them pics. Hotlinking is not allowed to commercial sites, unless you host the images on your webspace.

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Basically mate, you should go to Richer Sounds and pick up one of their Gale centres for £20. They are perfectly good speakers and will work fine in your setup. That Mission is actually pretty crappy IMO - I used to have the M7C1, so I know.

Technics (or anyone else) don't make a centre to match your Mum's fronts, so get the Gale and spend the rest on DVD's. "Tandem and working perfectly together" can't be done with your current fronts unfortunately. "Good and nice-sounding" is well within your grasp tho'.
    Better speaker cable is a waste too. In a couple of years you will be ready for a full matching set, then you can really get into it. For now, just enjoy the full DD 5.1 experience, esp. your new sub.

(Hope the above doesn't sound too patronizing either...:blush: )

10. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Patronizing...no dont be silly, I fully understand. I really want to get into pro hi-fi big time, I just have a budget at the min. In a few years however i will have set enough money asside to not have a budget and to get whatever I desire. Mine sounds good now as it is, I have just never been happy with the Sony sub I have, and I just love my sub bass ;) Thanks for the advice, to be honest I will probably do just what you suggest, its the most logical thing to do (for now). :smashin: