1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a camcorder - want 16:9 and ext or good Mic

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by technoflare, Mar 31, 2005.

1. technoflare

technoflare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Im looking to buy a new camcorder. I want it to be true 16:9 and have a good mic, prefer the option of external. So far I have been looking at the Canon 800 series as they are 16:9 but have no external mic and a reputation for noisey internal one. The new Sony 39 and 42 are also 16:9 but do not have an external mic! I can't believe Sony have dropped this feature as even the cheaper Sony models had a mic input.....

any other suggestions for £400 or less?

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try and get an HC40, they have only just been 'superceded' (sony talk for downgraded again, year after year, only three years ago even the cheapest sonys had manual focus rings, mic inputs and 1/4" CCD's) it ticks all your boxes and you may even get a bargain!

Find a cheap online price and then get Jessops to match it!.

Have fun

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Like the HC40 is a downgraded TRV33?

4. commuters

commuters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't get true 16:9 anamorphic (one that will pass a broadcast technical review if that's what you need it for) for less than £2000. The only Sony Cam offering true 16:9 is the new HVR-Z1...£2950 from Optex, I'm buying one it's awsome.

5. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yer Baw commutors, I've had footage accepted by the BBC shot on a PDX10 and from an old trv900 both in peudo widecreen and uing an optex convertor.

This whole myth of 'broadcast quality', good kit helps, but ability counts for more. Since BBC sold their technical section to siemens basic vector and wave checking has gone by the wayside.

Additionally, although the BBC are road-rtesting the new HDV cam they aren't broadcasting (on terrestrial at least) the footage, time was when you'd be struggling for them to accept betacamSP!.

Besides, it's a bit arsey (is it not?) to throw in a three grand camera when the original post wa quite obvioulsy from a conumer on a budget.
    It' like me looking for a wee runaround with electric windows and beiing recommended a Ferrarri.

6. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi ,Im new to the forum but would like to make a comment on "Broadcast Quality "

If television companies do not use budget camcorder footage,how do you account for the stuff they used to "broadcast" from their war correspondants during the Iraq conflict ?

I am sure that IF the footage shot is important and relavant and maybe unique,they would broadcast almost anything !

BTW,
    I have just bought a Canon MV6iMC from Canon Outlet on Ebay for use on my Motorbike trips,for £200.It ticked all the boxes for me for comnnectivity and size,but as usual with these things,I still worry if I have bought a "bad" model.
    I know it is a discontinued camera but for £200 and 12 months warranty I think WTH !

7. commuters

commuters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to buy a budget camera for amateur use, there's no need for 16:9.

However if you're a director/cameraman and continually use non 16:9 anamorphic camera's for 16:9 anamorphic television show's it's 'us' producers who are paying 250 per hour to have it arced in order for it not to look like it's been shot by an amatuer. And if that's 25 episodes, it comes to over 3 grand - in this case i would pay for a new Z1 and happily dry hire it to the camerman.

I would happily recommend a HC40 but wouldn't go near one to shoot something for broadcast.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Apart from filling up the whole of a widescreen TV..?

9. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Commuters, WHAT are you on about?

This is not a professional forum, if you want to talk pro, then lets, but not in response to a consumer question.

There are a number of other issues with the FX1/Z1 that make it a lesser camera than an high format SD cam which would limit it's use for broadcast drama (the only folk with the kind of budget you are talking about),

a) small CCD's, DigiBeta & HDVCPRO run ccd's that at least 2/3 in, often more, the FX/Z have 1/ inch ccds. Bigger CCD's not only capture more light (not a huge deal with lighting) but tend to have better engineering such as...

b) Frame Interline Transfer, where each pixel is read & processed individually rather than in rows or lines as occurs with the FX/Z1 (& most other 'prosumer/consumer' cams)

c) The lens quality on professional cameras is far higher, I know of drama shooters who wouldn't put anything less than a £10k cooke lens on their rig, so if you look at a camera costing a 'mere' three grand... hmmm

d) The compression sytem used, in broadcast terms miniDV is lossy (colour sampling works out at 8:1) the HDV system is far lossier (20:1), digibeta has a colour sampling/compression of 2:1, so far better colour rendition and far fewer artefacts.

Aside form the format question, the HDV is only just out, where as true professional cameras are laid out in a consistant style, one day I may be using my Sony 570, the next an Ikegami, the next a Panasonic, but i will find all the essential buttons and controls in exactly the same place on each camera, you'll waste a half a days budget letting your camera operator getting to grips with the cam, if you use more than one cam you'll loose half a day each change.

Don't get me wrong, the FX1/Z1's are great cameras, tremendous amount for the money, hell I even bought one, BUT they are a untried quantity for serious broadcast work.

AND ANY WAY THIS WAS A CONSUMER POST!!!!!

10. duncanmcewan

duncanmcewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chill guys ;)

Anyways ... my 2p worth :)
    I had bought a Canon MV850i, but will be returning it to the shop this Saturday, as the motor noise copied to tape is unbearable, just like the old 700 series.

After a couple of posts in here, it looks as though Sony is the way to go. I believe (although I'm a newbie) that the DCR-HC39 and DCR-HC42 models from Sony have a shoe that allows connection of an external boom mic.

If you're not fusses about backup from a local supplier, etc, then you can find the DCR-HC42 online for about £400 (check out www.pricerunner.com).

I'll be picking up the HC39 or HC42 on Saturday, so I'll let you know how that goes :) BTW: As far as I can see, the only difference between the 39 & 42 is that the 42 has DV-IN and a slightly higher CCD resolution.

Here's hoping that SOny works out ;)

BAH!! Just found out from a mag article that there is no input for an external mic, so the mic that you can connect to the shoe has to be connected up to an external recording sourse, or so "What Digital Camcorder" says ...

Dunc.