1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Camcorder from the US...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by BAV, Feb 14, 2003.

1. BAV

BAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was about to buy a Panasonic NV-DS29 camcorder, but checking prices on the web, I came across the US spec PV-DV102 - seemingly much more for no more money, but it not the same spec. as any UK-offered camcorder. Is this a good way to go? What are the customs / warranty / compatiobility issues?

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    First of all it will be NTSC and not PAL so unless your TV (and Video) support this, you may have problems playing back your videos :(

Then you have customs.

You should really declare this if you are bringing it in yourself and they will then charge you VAT (17.5% on it).

If you get it by mail, customs will charge you VAT, plus a surcharge (about 2 or 3%) and then there will be a handling charge on top by the post office :(

Of course you could try and get it past customs in any number of ways but if you get caught, you WILL loose the camera and could be facing serious charges. :lesson:

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tis a good point, but having packed my (admittedly UK sourced) camcorder into my hand luggage I've walked through customs without them even giving it a thought. If you still have the box with you they'll get shirty, but if it's in a carrying case they don't bother.