Buying a Bose Lifestyle 48 in US and bringing back to ireland. Will it work?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ciaran_halpin, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ciaran_halpin

ciaran_halpin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I'm heading over to the US in a couple of weeks and am looking at buying the Bose LifeStyle 48 system there as its so much cheaper and bringing back.

From reading some of the forums here I know there's a few people who don't rate them at all but I've listened to the system here and i think it sounds great.

Was just wondering about the power difference, is it just a matter of buying a 110 - 220 transformer? Will it work or is there anything else i should know first?

Also, Can you get the DVD player chipped to play region 0 or on 2 rather than region 1?

Has anyone bought sound systems in US for europe? How did you get on?

Any advise would be great.
    Thanks,
    Ciaran

2. MJG1985

MJG1985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Bose do not offer any support for imported products so no dealer will be able to help.
    The power would be different and the region of the DVD player would also be wrong. Never heard of them being multi-regioned though.

3. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    making multi region is a remote hack and you will need a mains converter, they are cheap, but like the other poster said, boseUK will not support it, but then i'm sure most bose dealers will help you out.

4. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a review on another site talking about a company caller eurosoundz.com that do a dual voltage version with a multi-region dvd player. Unfortunately I can't find the site.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    [Mod Comment - Knyghtbyte: Moving to All-In-One systems forum as more suitable for the multiple questions being asked: End Mod Comment]

6. wil_1

wil_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll need either a step down transformer (which are pretty cheap) or a new power supply. I think I'm right in saying that the power supply is an external transformer, so you could just replace it with a uk one from bose. I have seen a bose dual input one (on the internet) that accepts 110v and 240v inputs, it's a DCS94 I think.
    Othe than that there is the region code, but again I have found the required hack on the internet to make the player region free.
    I'd be most interested to hear how you get on with this, as I'm thinking of doing the same myself in a few months time.
    If you need the multi region thing just pm me and I'll let you know.

:smashin:

7. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd certainly be interested too as this unit seems to have good multi-room options with it but the UK price tag is a big offput :thumbsdow

8. davdee

davdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i have a lifestyle 28 whichi purchased in canada which is region 1 and110 voltage.ive had it a year and still have been unable to multiregion it which basically is annoying. secondly i had no problems with the 240 to 110 conversion for about ten months untill i moved house, then it continually cut out. i contacteed bose uk who said they could convert for £500 which was a bit over the top if you ask me.
    they seemed quite upset too that i bought in canada and were requesting import duties reciept and original reciept from shop if i were to go ahead with conversion.
    i solved my power issue problem by plugging it into my laptop 19v power supply and i havent had a cut out since. (bose uses 33v)
    with shipping and import taxes i payed around £2000 for mine ,so with hindsight i would probably purchased in the uk then probably not at all.

i would suggest looking in germany for multi voltage models and possibly multiregion. goodluck whatever yu decide

9. THERAAAVEN

THERAAAVEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    probably not be able to play r2 discs only r1, as even if make multi region the unit may not play back pal encoded discs as over in the us there is no need for that really.

10. wil_1

wil_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hi, when you say you haven't been able to multiregion it, do you mean you haven't been able to find the rigth codes, or that you've input the code and it still won't play the discs?

Ta.