Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Buying a Benq 6100 - wise choice for first timer?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by biggy7, May 25, 2005.

1. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    hi guys

ive been reading up on pj, as im in the market for one.

i have a tight budget of about £350 - £400 max for the pj unit. I was looking at the Toshiba ET1 but cant seem to find it at the bargain price it was a few months ago!

my friend is offering me a benq 6100 for £350, its near enough brand new.

i will want to watch dvd's (mix of pal and ntsc) in progressive scan, play xbox (hi def) games and watch football from ntl cable.

is this a wise choice? and is it a good buy for the money?

any help most appreciated, looking to buy soon, so need a definite yes or no answer.

ive done a search on the forums and it semms like its meant to be a data pj, more good for home cinema. so at £350 is it a good buy?

cheers!!!

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I've had mine a while now and I think it's a fantastic projector.

Have you read the review at:-

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_pb6100_pb6200.htm

They state

"you will end up with exceptional image quality for the investment you make. Considering their price/performance, we are adding them both to our Highly Recommended list"

Some points to bear in mind.

* You need to use a component to VGA cable for your DVD player and run in progressive scan for an amazing image.

* The S-Vid picture is good but a bit soft.

* My modded Xbox using 480P (ntsc) looks simply amazing on it.

For the money (and your getting it at a great price) they are a great piece of kit.

3. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

www.oyyy.co.uk have the ET1 back in stock at £370. I have had mine now for a couple of months now and love it. I have posted some screens shots of the ET1 in action under the FAO Toshiba ET1 owners thread if you haven't seem them.

I am sure you will be happy with either pj.

SGIL

4. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    thanks for your comments :)

now im in moe of a dilemma!

ET1 or the 6100?

if you had the choice which one would you go for?

5. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Biggy7,

I really cannot make any comment on the Benq 6100 as have never seen it in action and looking at the review posted by Cyberheater it does suggest that it is a very good machine. You never stated how old the 6100 is and what the usage on the lamp is as this might affect your decision and how well your friend has followed best practice with regards to the lamp e.g. letting it cool down via the fan rather than just unpluging it from the mains when finished using it, not switching it on for short periods of time and also when the lamp is already warm, etc. All of these actions will reduce the lamp life.

The price of the replacement lamps for each seem similar and the 6100 seems a little brighter than the ET1 but the ET1 has a 16:9 ratio where the 6100 is 4:3 according to the review.

I assume you have seen the 6100 in action, is there anywhere local you can see the Tosh in action and make a decision based on viewings? I ended up having to buy the ET1 blind which was a risk but I don't regret it one bit.

Everyone who has seen it in action cannot believe it was only £360.

Hope this helps

SJGIL

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Here's a couple of things that will help your decision.

1/ BenQ is a lot higher contrast 2000:1 vs 800:1 for the ETI. Blacks will be blacker and lights will be lighter and the colours will be a lot more natural.

2/ ET1 has much better connectivity. You can easily connect up your component cables to it. The BenQ requires a VGA - Component cable (available at Maplins) etc...

3/ The BenQ has a lot longer lens throw then the ET1. To get a big picture you'll need to have it at the back of the room but the picture will be fantastic.
    The ET1 is a short throw lens so you can have it on a coffee table in front of you.

4/ The ET1 has a DCDi so S-Vid and composite will look smoother then the BenQ.

Just to let you know. I upgraded my AE200 (very similar spec to the ET1) to the BenQ and the image quality was dramatic. But the AE200 was easier to use and still gave a fantastic image.

Also. How much can you shut off light in the viewing room. Any light spill on the screen will degrade the picture quality. The BenQ is a lot brighter so will cope with some light better then the ET1.

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    BTW. That's a fantastic price for a new projector. 370 quid. Wow!