1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying A Battery Charger From Usa

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by abs, Feb 13, 2004.

1. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    i bought a SONY DCR-PC 330 for an excellent price of £999 from selfridges in the trafford centre, manchester (not even the sony centre or jessops could match that price.)

i have bought the np-qm91d long life battery on ebay for about £40 from hong kong compared to £130 here, i have also purchased a infr red light and boom mic from ebay (worth checking out).

anyway, i am looking at getting a charger from ebay the ac-sq950d which is about £130 here and about £50 on ebay from the states, will the charger work in the u.k.

any ideas before i buy on ebay, thanks

abs

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst it is true that most chargers sold in Europe quite happily work on any voltage between 110 and 240 the Americans are not quite so liberal and often only make their electrical equipment for use on 110 volts, you will damage the charger if it is rated at 110V and you plug it into our 240V system. You can buy step-down adapters to allow you to use 110V equipment in this country.

Before you buy from e-bay ask the seller to tell you the voltage rating from the charger itself. - if they will not tell you don't buy, if they tell you incorrectly you have grounds for demanding a refund.

3. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    i have checked the manual for the charger on the sony website and it rates the charger at 110/220 v, this is the same for the charger bought in uk, so will it work?

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes should be OK the difference in frequency (60Hz - USA, 50Hz - UK) will not affect the charger.

5. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have never been able to get a Sony Centre to price match, and as a result have never bought from them. I'm amazed they do much business at all, as all their prices seem to be the RRP. I suppose it's just people who don't do any research before buying and assume they'll get the best deal buying a Sony product from a Sony shop!

P.S. - Don't like to burst your bubble, but www.ajelectronics.co.uk are selling it for £970 including delivery.