Buying a 40" possibly M86/87 need advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by a_jam_sandwich, Sep 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. a_jam_sandwich

a_jam_sandwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Looking at buying the LE40M86BD from Dixions for £860.17 + a 3% discount, works out at £838.67 is this set worth buying my budget is £850.00 - £900.00, I've also been looking at the KDL40W2000.

Requirements;

1080p
    1920x1080 via VGA for XBox in 1080p
    40"-42"
    1:1 Pixel mapping via HDMI for PC connection

Many thanks

Andy

2. Freethy

Freethy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I did exactly the same as you this morning!!

I've been waiting for the 40"-42" group test in todays What-HiFi magazine before i make my decision. I haven't read it in full but it gives the Samsung 4 stars (I think it was previously 5).

I was torn between the same two and im swaying towards the Samsung as its slightly cheaper (and newer I believe?)

I think either would seem to be a good purchase (bugs aside of course)

I might actually order a new TV one day! :D

3. a_jam_sandwich

a_jam_sandwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ye gonna buy one today I think gonna do the buy now pay later option I think.

4. Freethy

Freethy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Interestingly the review states that the M86 they have tested have been better than the two M87's they tested even though they are identical so there are obvious variations in quality!

5. a_jam_sandwich

a_jam_sandwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ye just read that, arh well think im gonna order one. It'll be the M86 anyways 838 not to bad I recon.

6. a_jam_sandwich

a_jam_sandwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've just noticed turn to the LCD buyers guide in the back it has 5 starts 'Startling good, competitively priced, 1080p TV.'

Nice! but then again so is the KDL40W2000 dam dam dam!!!!!

7. pabloh20

pabloh20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I like WhatHifi and I have read the review myself, but you have to balance it with other sources of information you might have.

There are several errors in the review, which always disappoints me and makes me wonder a bit. That and the fact that WhatHifi have never mentioned the clouding issue on the Sony 40W2000, unless it's somewhere on their website/forums.

I am in the same boat, by the way. I had decided to get the Sony 40W2000 until I saw the issues with clouding. Then I started looking around a bit and particulalry at the Samsung after the first review WhatHifi gave it the other month. The freeview judder won't be an issue to me as I don't have an aerial worth talking about, I only ever use sky these days anyway. The possible interference on the scart may be an issue for me, but I don't know how long for, because if I got an lcd, I would ideally get sky hd to go with it. Still undecided.

Mind you, after reading a few forums and that, you would never buy any tv! lol

8. a_jam_sandwich

a_jam_sandwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's so true, think its going to be the Sammy for me, I'm ordering SkyHD to so its 838 for the tv and 309 for the SkyHD. Wish I signed up for HD in July when I sky half price. Oh well hindsight is such a great thing and totally useless.

9. pabloh20

pabloh20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sky are still doing some deals on skyhd, depending on how long you have been with them. Many people seem to be able to ring up and tell sky that they will switch to somebody else and get a better deal that way, haven't tried it myself yet.

I can get the sammy for £822, I think it was, with a 3yr guarantee - fairly important consideration is always the price! lol

10. a_jam_sandwich

a_jam_sandwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Where from 3 years that would be great. Only been with Sky since July this year so no deals for me just rang up.

11. pabloh20

pabloh20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bummer! lol As you say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

From costco. The good thing was, well I hope it is anyway, that I checked a couple of the boxes and they were P8 serial nos, so hopefully the latest firmware.

12. a_jam_sandwich

a_jam_sandwich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Dam costco don't do intrest free know anywhere else where I can get 3yrs warranty with the option for intrest free 6+ months?

Cheers

13. Freethy

Freethy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

True there are silly errors like stating it has 2 HDMI ports when it has 3. I'm just going to order one otherwise something else will catch my eye and then ill wait for that.

Isn't Costco for companies only? not individuals? I have a Makro card, i wonder if they do either of these TV's?

14. pabloh20

pabloh20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't sorry, matey, just saw the sammy in there for that price t'other day. Nearly bought it on the spot, but made myself have a think about it! lol

15. pabloh20

pabloh20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, the size is wrong too, they don't mention the cosmetic differences between the 2 and things like that just make me question it a little bit. It still got a reasonable review, though.

No, costco is for individuals too, well it is in our one, as I have not got a card through a company.