1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a 32" Plasma/LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by eeper, Nov 28, 2003.

1. eeper

eeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a flatscreen tv in the 30 to 32 inch range (my room won't support any more). This seems to be the size range at which LCD and plasma cross over (ie you can't get any smaller plasmas and bigger LCDs are disproportionately pricey). I've narrowed things down to 2, possibly 3 choices. Do any of you have experience (good or bad) of the following:

Sharp Aquos lc30
    Hitachi 32D3000
    Philips ???? (whatever their 32" Plasma is called)

I'm not a big sports fan, I just want to watch digital telly and some DVDs. My DVD player is a Sony DAVS880 if that makes any difference.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I think the first thing you need to do is decide on which technology. Plasmas and LCDs have a quite different look to each other. Whilst a debate could run on for page after page on the merits of each, the truth of it is that (probably due to differences in either visual acuity or just preference) some people prefer the look of LCD whereas others prefer the look of Plasma display.

So, you should first try to work out which you prefer the look of. Bear in mind, however, that when you see these things on display in the majority of retailers, they have been set up by imbeciles and are being driven off a badly maintained aerial distribution system using the worst possible signal protocol - RF using frayed and badly wired cables.

Try, if you can, to get a decent retailer to connect each up to a DVD player or a digibox outputting RGB to evaluate the true potential of the screen.

If you are likely to spend prolonged periods either playing video games or watching the same digital channel, if the said channel has a logo, you may want to steer yourself towards LCD, which does not suffer screen burn in the same way that a Plasma might.

There is no substitute for seeing it for yourself.

3. hOwLa

hOwLa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Samsung 32" LCD and the picture is superb for watching DVDs via my component DVD player. I'm also a sports fan and watch a lot of Sky sports via my Sky+ box which is connected via RGB scart. The football and rugby is terrible to watch, no way near a CRT TV which would cost £200! Its so bad that I'm returning my TV for the 32" Sony Plasma and paying £500 extra. I've looked at all the other LCD models, Sharp, Philips, Sony and they have the same problem - motion blur, fast images cause image trails which for the money is just not acceptable. LCD is on the bleeding edge at the moment and if you want to learn the hard way as I have go ahead but please don't rush in. If you need to ask me any questions please feel free.

Good luck,

hOwLa

4. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Heh hOwLa, i almost gave him similar advice on lcds about sport until i reread this bit :).

Still its worth telling him as i can only imagine it effects other things such as fast panning movies or the like too.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Whilst a debate could run on for page after page on the merits of each.....

And so it begins again.

6. eeper

eeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys,

I have been to a few places to see these tvs set up, but unfortunately I have not been able to see them set up side by side yet.

Confusingly, I have also seen them set up very badly and very well. I was first tempted by the Hitachi after I saw it in a shop window showing a beautiful picture off an RF input(!). However the setup in John Lewis was embarassingly bad. Equally, I have seen the Sharp running impeccably and, in a different shop, showing a coarse, blocky picture. The setup of these tvs really does seem to be crucial.

I am changing my mind about as often as I change my socks at the moment!

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lc30 is pricey for what it is, so we don't stock. In general since the competition in plasmas heated up about 2 years ago Philips plasma's are mostly crap, brought up by the big high street stores. So the reason you'll find most independants will have the hitachi is cause a high street store can sell it at £2300