Buying a 2nd Hand dvd player from ebay: advisable?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kpjf, Aug 10, 2006.

1. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi,

Was looking to buy a new dvd player to use with a toshiba 27wlt56 (was about £620), had been thinking of the Denon 1920 about £200, then I seen PIONEER DV- 868 AVi-S on ebay, currently going for £215 +£20 p+p (buy it now £420) its listed as "Although this item is listed as use its in A1 condition and faultless in operation", what do people think of buying a dvd of this price on ebay? ie that spending say £400 you might get burned and then you've no real guarantee, but this player, new is £800+(?) so its a great bargain even at the buy it now price. At 1 year old, supposedly in a1 condition do people think this is a good idea? (As im not prepared to spend £800)
    Click here to see the item on ebay

Someone else is selling it, and seems to be in a similar condition

Click here

So do people think it'd be better to buy one brand new cheaper one rather than go for a 'supposedly' mint second hand player? (Both sellers have great feedback)

Thanks

2. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I'd say you would be OK with that one. The seller has plenty of excellent feedback. I'v been on Ebay for 7 years and have only had one problem in that time.

3. cracken

cracken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    you can have mine for 410 delivered see AV classified thread

4. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Otv i might just wait and see how the 2 ones on ebay go for, thanks anyway as they might go for a good bit less (hopefully!)

A PIONEER DV737 only went for £92 a few minutes ago on ebay though the guy told me he bought it in 2003 - still acc to the net the rrp was £700 so, i might get lucky like this. Tho i don't really want to buy a 3 year old player

5. smiffy333

smiffy333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Sold mine on ebay a few months ago for £400 and it was immaculate although the buyer did arrange to pick it up.
    Not sure if I'd risk that kind of money personally but you'd probably be ok if the seller's got some goood feedback.

But one word of caution I did find out to my cost, paypal will only refund a max of £105 if it all goes wrong on ebay!

6. cracken

cracken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    think mine will be going on ebay soon as there hasnt been a decent offer for mine - ive to 500 + ebay rating so im a good guy ;)

7. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I would advise against buying a second hand dvd player in general. They don't last for years like VCRs, the DVD drives wear out pretty quickly, often the they still work and people can tell the drive is on the way out and flog it.

Definately wouldn't risk more than £100 on one for sure!:lesson:

(from experience with a good few £50-£150 players)

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I think going second hand on a quality player has less risks because they tend to be built better and new spares may be easier to aquire (as opposed to spares from scrap players). Buying off E-bay is another matter alltogether and you either trust the institution or you don't.

9. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    I sold my 3910 on ebay. After the guy had collected it I got him a copy of the receipt from 7oaks, and he rang me up a couple of times when he couldn't get to grips with the manual. I also sold my projector for £1600 on there, which came with a 2 years 6 months gold warranty, and he's been very happy with it.

If I sell anything I try & give a good service, & always use fully insured couriers. If the guy who bought my 3910, which still had around 16 months warranty left, had any problems I would be happy to liase with Denon/7oaks to get it fixed under warranty, since I believe the warranty is not transferrable with Denon gear. I must say I haven't bought a DVD player from ebay, but I did bid £840 on an Arcam DV29, which I didn't win.

If the sellers have good feedback & have been members for a few years, and offer insured courier then you should be okay. Once I get their name & address I check it with electoral roll etc. to try & verify.

10. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi, thanks again for opinions.

This was one thing that worried me, say spending £400 and then for it not to last that long, but i was thinking along the lines of i could get a dvd player worth £800-900 for basically half price. The second link said it was hardly ever used, so at about 1years old i personally think that'd be okay. Ive actually had a really rubbish £30 bush player which although is crap its lasted a good few years with no sign of breaking. And you would think a PIONEER DV- 868 AVi-S would be pretty durable (?)

I bought one recently for my dad on ebay (Toshiba SD-125E), cost me £22 altogether (supposedly £180 brand new) which is totally fine, good value too and this ebayer said it was only used a few times.

That's definitely something to consider!

Thats good service of you, but im not sure everyone would be so helpful. In terms of an insured courier i guess thats something to work out, but im from Northern Ireland, and it seems for heavy items like dvd players it costs more to ship and a courier might be expensive, im not sure. Feedback from both people seems good.

I bought/sold a lot on ebay (600+feedback) but whatever their feedback is i guess it is a big risk considering the guarantee if it breaks in a few months time. I guess i was just thinking;

a- buy a new dvd player for between £200-400 or

b-get a £800 dvd player 2nd hand for £400

Decisions, decisions!

One thing i was really wondering was what generally do people think i should spend on a player going with a tv i paid £600 for? I mean approximately would you say you shouldn't pay more than half the amount or go almost up to the same amount?