1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a 2001 model dvd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulr, Jun 15, 2002.

1. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hi
    Richer sounds have the Marantz DV7010 dvd player for sale at £299.Normal price about $500 ish.The thing is its an old model,end of line stock.2001 award winner
    With technology moving so fast is it a good/bad idea to buy an older model?.......or should i get the latest version.
    Opinions please.

Thanks in advance
    Paul

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you like the performance and spec there is no reason why you should not go for it. You will never be able to keep up with technology unless you buy and sell your equipment every six months or so. Some people actually do this but most cannot. The majority of members will be using DVD players from at least a year ago. In terms of technology moving on, I used to own a Pioneer DV717 which is getting on quite a bit now. I sold it and bought a Sony 735D last year which, even though a good deal newer and of a comparable price, I've come to the conlusion that the Pioneer was better. The reason I sold it was because I couldn't fit it in my new AV rack. There was no option so it had to go. That said the 717 was one of the biggest DVD players around (height wise). :)

3. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks Groundy.........the reason i ask is the guy in Richer sounds today said the only disadvantage with a 1 year old player is it might not read the discs so well,might not be as smooth as a newer one.Also an older one may not be able to read vcd's.

To be honest 'im tempted to go for it as its one of the top Marantz models for £299.