1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a 16:9 screen in the UK

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Most of us have an idea of the projector we want, well I do, it's the Panasonic PT-AE100 16:9 projector.
    I need a 16:9 pulldown screen in matt white about 1 Gain.
    http://www.direkt2u.co.uk/ do a 203cm X 114cm 16:9 screen for £212, but this maybe a little big for this projector, the reason being that I may see the pixel structure from my seating possion of 3 metres. The question is, does anyone know of another UK supplier which supplys 16:9 budget screens at a slightly smaller size.
    Or should I go for a 4:3 screen like the model b 196 X 145cm from direkt2u.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Most screen manufacturers will do any size or aspect ratio you wish. I have supplied Draper manual pull down screens in the ratio you are after. Obvioucly custom screens take a little longer to get than standard size ones.

If you need pricing email me with dimensions you are after.
    Gordon

3. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Also, give Direkt2u a ring (number on their site) they will supply ANY size screen you wish (modified from another screen size by Da-lite themselves).

Very good prices, knowledgeable and friendly. I'd recommend them.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

4. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tim, I'm in a similar position to you, in that I'm itching to get a projector (Panasonic looking top choice too), and have faced the dilemma of what screen to buy. I decided on a 4:3 Matt screen (80"x60" or 203x152cm) because I'll be watching movies (recent 1:2.35, 1:1.85 and older 4:3 ratios), TV and Music DVDs, plus TV and PS2. For me a 4:3 screen gives more flexibility and a larger 4:3 image. Having just spent a weekend enjoying a projector (Sony CX2) for he first time (kindly lent by a friend who uses it for work presentations and finally gave in to my constant pestering - hope to post my first impressions tomorrow). A 2m wide screen is not a bad thing at all - films look fab at this scale, though watching THe Simpsons at 100" diagonal was too large even for me. :)

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Boogerman,

Dont forget the Panasonic will do 4:3 inside a 16:9 screen.
    I think it will also stretch a 4:3 image like a widescreen tv does.
    I think it's important to get the pj first and then way up which screen to get after.