Buying a 1080p Projector

Matsy

Established Member
Reaction score
The time has come to retire my TV and go full hog with a projector setup.
I'm already sorted with screen choices, sound and everything.
Just wondering what people would recommend in terms of a 1080p projector (not interested in 4K for now) that will be used in a pitch black room.
Budget £1000, but the lower the better to a certain quality degree.
I've been looking at the popular Optima HD143x and the Epson tw5650 among others, but the differences outside of brightness escape me, and youtube videos only do so much.
Projector placement isn't an issue, but don't want a short throw one.
Size of screen is 100-120inch (tbd)
The screen itself is also tbd, but looks like it will be a White 1.0 gain or the popular Grey depending on whats available. Getting the projector first is more important though.
Contrast (black levels) are pretty much the most important thing for me, gaming will be minimal.

Thank you for any assistance.

New projectors up to £1000 tend not to have great black levels and contrast. That’s all fine if you have light coloured walls but if you are thinking more along the lines of a batcave with dark coloured walls and ceiling you should consider picking up an older 2nd hand pj as your blacks on screen will likely look dark grey at best otherwise. That was my experience starting with a budget DLP model anyway.

Just to clarify that the projectors you mentioned will likely be very good and suitable if you have lighter coloured walls and ceiling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom