Buying 40" LCD or Plamsa.......Help Please!

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry double posted!!

Mainly watching SD through a Sky + box plus DVD's etc.

Watching sport, mainly football, is of paramount importance. Was about to buy a Sony 40V3000 but then read that it suffers from bad motion blur on sports viewing. Is this right?

I know there is a massive amount of options here but my head is spinning from reading the threads on the site so I need some simple help from you good people. First post on here.

Here's some of my options:

Sony 40v3000 £720. No Stand.
Samsung LE40A557P2FXXU with Stand £799.
Toshiba 40XF355DB. No Stand £850.
Pasasonic 37" Plasma. £750 ish.

I know most of this will probably have been discussed on a multitude of threads but I'd be very thankful if you could spare a moment to point me in the right direction for what I'm after.

Thanks.
Stuart.

I've just been to Comet and Curry's for a look and am no further forward. Why do we need so many tv's to chose from?????

He did say that given the fact that I'm after something for watching sport, sd and some dvd's that he'd be more inclined to be looking at a decent Panasonic plasma with 100Hz and not to get too hung up on the 1080HD thing. The reason being that in Japan they have already launched 1440HD and he reckons by turn of the year, if not sooner, that will be the new standard. And so it goes on...........

He told me that in laymans terms 1080HD = 1 megamixel. In the far east at present they are already testing the equivalent of 4 megapixels!! The point is, 1080HD in a few months will be old hat as they are already about to produce 4 times that for us wee consumers.

He showed me a 1080HD Sony running beisde a 780 plamsa Panny and from where I was there wasn't much difference.

What say ye? Is 100Hz vital for watching sport?

Come on chaps I need some help here. :thumbsup:

Personally I would go 1080p

1080p is the standard for digital cinema and you cant beat HD on the cinema screen, there is simply no comparison between an ordinary projected image and digital for quality.

You only need 1080p for 40" up TV's so what use is higher resolutions? Any bigger and you will be needing to sit in the garden to watch TV.

if you're going to buy it, get one price matched at john lewis from sound and vision.

37'' plasma is £599 at s&v

if you're interest is mainly SD and sports, go plasma. It's an easy decision.

Given that people already debate whether or not the increase in resolution from HD Ready to Full HD is noticeable, and how many people have started investing in TVs now, and how expensive it's being for UK TV studios to switch over to 1080...I highly doubt that the standard digital resolution is going to increase dramatically any time soon. If it does, then it's just getting silly.

Anyway, that aside, for your viewing habits the PX80 would seem to be the best choice. The fact that it's better at motion is absolutely nothing to do with the 100Hz feature (which is solely for reducing flicker, like on a CRT TV), but related to the plasma technology itself.

Given that people already debate whether or not the increase in resolution from HD Ready to Full HD is noticeable, and how many people have started investing in TVs now, and how expensive it's being for UK TV studios to switch over to 1080...I highly doubt that the standard digital resolution is going to increase dramatically any time soon. If it does, then it's just getting silly.
I might be stupid here but since when has technology followed a logical path, manufacturers will probably create another standard for us to buy into before there's any content to view ;) :)

Anyway, that aside, for your viewing habits the PX80 would seem to be the best choice. The fact that it's better at motion is absolutely nothing to do with the 100Hz feature (which is solely for reducing flicker, like on a CRT TV), but related to the plasma technology itself.
Back ontopic, I'm going to agree with the 2 posters above, for what you say your viewing habits are go for a plasma, see if you can't get to a Richer sounds or similar type store to view both LCD and Plasma side by side you will get a much better idea than viewing in Curry's or Comet.

Curly

Thanks folk,

Have been reading the thread on the Plasma forum for the Panny and for the most part I like what I'm reading.

So excuse my ignorance, but when its says its HD ready but only is a 720 rating how does it handle 1080 if that standard is thrown at it? Does it simple adjust it to its own level?

My thinking was that if I went for this then I'd have a few quid left over for a sound system. Nothing too expensive but enough to make a difference.

Re if and when the manufacturers move the HD standard up again, whenever have they bothered about whither its silly or not? For them its simply more turnover as they market it to thee and me as the latest thing that we must have.

When I bought my Philips 28" about 5 years ago it was a fairly simple business but now......:confused:

Thanks folk,

Have been reading the thread on the Plasma forum for the Panny and for the most part I like what I'm reading.

So excuse my ignorance, but when its says its HD ready but only is a 720 rating how does it handle 1080 if that standard is thrown at it? Does it simple adjust it to its own level?

My thinking was that if I went for this then I'd have a few quid left over for a sound system. Nothing too expensive but enough to make a difference.

Re if and when the manufacturers move the HD standard up again, whenever have they bothered about whither its silly or not? For them its simply more turnover as they market it to thee and me as the latest thing that we must have.

When I bought my Philips 28" about 5 years ago it was a fairly simple business but now......:confused:
some "HD Ready" tv will accept a 1080p signal and scale it down to 720p some others will accept up to 1080i and downscale that, either way most things you will connect to the tv, dvd, gameing consoles..etc should have the option to output at the native resolution of the tv, if not the tv will upscale to suit.

Curly

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom