1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying 36" CRT - how are the Panasonic PD30 faults relavtive to other sets?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by GavinH, Sep 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I orignally posted this as a reply in the "Panasonic faults/problems" thread, but it was a little off topic so I am starting a new thread... Initially it was a response to some comments made by perka...

I am looking to buy a 36” CRT, preferably with PAL progressive scan, as the info I have read on the web and in magazines suggests that progressive scan offers significantly better image quality. It is evident from this thread that there are significant technical problems with the Panasonic… However I am interested by perka’s comments that although the Panasonic has these problems, other sets suffer from them more.

I suppose my problem is that I don’t really know how to critically assess the picture quality (other than a general “ooh, that looks like a nice picture”), and thus rely on other people’s assessments. Unfortunately after reading this thread I have kind of been put off the Panasonic…

So, although the Panasonic suffers from some of the specific technical problems mentioned here – generally how does it measure up with other sets – specifically the Toshiba 36ZD26P?

Is it the case that there are going to be problems with any 36” set, and thus it’s not possible to be completely satisfied with which ever one you go for? If this is the case, then I suppose it is a matter of which one has the least problems.

I think one guy (sorry can’t remember who) made a comment about not many living room TV’s standing up to standards of this forum. So along these lines, will the Panasonic offer a significant improvement (worthy of its price) from the 28” 4:3 Daewoo (don’t know model sorry) that is sitting in my living room?

Progressive Scan. One person mentioned (again, sorry can’t remember) that PAL progressive scan is poor with the Panasonic. Is this poor in comparison to non-progressive scan PAL images, or progressive scan Pal images from another display?

For example, is it the case that a poor PAL progressive scan system will be worse than a well-done PAL interlaced image? Or is it the case that although there are problems with Panasonic’s PAL progressive scan, it is still a significant improvement on its peers who only offer interlaced PAL? How do people think the PAL progressive scan of the Panasonic compares with the normal interlaced PAL image of the Toshiba?

One final thing, I have looked in the shops and attempted to compare 36” CRTs with 42” Rear Projection sets… it is difficult as the equipment is often not set up with a DVD source, and the sources can be different. Despite the problems discussed here with the Panasonic, how does it compare “overall” in terms of picture quality with an even’ish priced rear-pro?

Thanks for any help guys, and apologies to the moderators if this has drifted off topic.

Gav

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Looking at a review of 32" sets in this months "Home Entertainment" mag.. and remembering that 32" sets are usually identical chassis, just a larger tube..

comparing the
    Toshiba 32ZP38B
    Panny TX-32PD30
    JVC HV-32D25EJ
    Phillips 32PW9618
    Loewe Mimo 32

It seems the Panasonic although good does not overly impress, and the Tosh walks it... easily..

and this seems to be the case for all new Tosh models, the Active Vision series, anyway...

My brother has the 51WH36.. RPTV also an active vision chassis, looks stunning, it doesn't matter what mode its in, whether prog scan or interlaced, the set is superb.. although technically we only used the internal prog-scan mode, which de-interlaces the incoming interlaced signal... almost as good..

As for PAL Prog-scan, well I think I now see why Tosh and others say that Prog scan is really for NTSC material..
    With fewer scan lines, and having to take up the same vertical space on the screen, scan lines are more noticeable with NTSC< so NTSC prog scan does make a big difference, however, the PAL scan lines are much less visible in the first place, so the improvement is much smaller.. and at normal viewing distances the difference starts to become negligible...

I think its more important that the set has excellent PQ before you add the small improvement prog scan makes.. at normal viewing distances... I don't care if you can see the difference when your nose is on the glass!!!

As for getting one with the least faults, since they all seem much of a muchness, then surely just get the one you like, and then get the engineer out to sort it out if you are not happy...

(I had enough of 32/36 CRTs with geometry/convergence/compressed detail and went the RPTV route, which seems to address all these issues, or at least make it possible to remove them yourself)...

3. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Really. I don't remember them saying anything bad about the Mimo.

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    They indeed didn't...
    It was a good set, good, but not oustanding?? would that be a better summary???

5. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demon,

Thanks for your comments. I have a few more questions, and please excuse my ignorance of some issues.

How does the Toshiba 32ZP38B differ from the ZD26P range? Is it the case that they offer the same picture quality, but the ZP has additional sound benefits?

You have mentioned the Active Vision series, is the ZD26P included in this range? Does the active vision series apply to CRTs and RPTVs? What does the Active Vision do?

It seems that you and your brother have RPTVs; do you know much about the performance of the 42WT29B? Originally my choice was between this RPTV and the 36ZD… however I was intrigued by the PAL progressive scan of the Panny. Would you choose the RP over the CRT?

I have not yet had a chance to watch anything on a RP, which is a shame because in the shops I don’t think they look as good as they would at home running directly from a DVD source (a lot of the shops I have been in have them showing a TV signal).

How far are you from the set at home? One of the things that put me off the rear pro was the viewing distance… the other was the viewing angle (TV in the corner of the room, and then two sofas).

Your comments about the benefits of PAL progressive scan being smaller than those of NTSC progressive scan are interesting. Have Toshiba deliberately avoided PAL progressive scan because of this?

You mentioned the internal progressive scan mode on your brothers RP… does this mean the RPTV is doing the processing (putting the image back together) rather than the DVD source?

Thanks,

Gav

6. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the 28ZD26P... which is the smallest one in that range.

The picture was stunning from all sources (especially component).
    The colour reproduction was especially outstanding.
    I believe these sets do not handle PAL progressive ... only NTSC (I only had a NTSC prog capable player anyway).

But.... there were big problems with geometry and a very noticeable buzzing when in any 100hz mode (very noticeable as it was for our bedroom).

However, I'm sure I could have got a replacement which did not have these problems. It was a fantastic picture.

I sent it back and decided to get a 32" TV with a smaller cabinet (I'm still in the process of deciding which).

Tonight I go to curries armed with DVD player and PS2 to decide on either a 32" Panasonic PD30 or a Tosh PF2.

happy hunting

:)

7. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    First off, whilst they can often give a good idea, i wouldn't ever by a tv set based on what was written in a magazine. I exstensively demoed the usual suspects instore and walked away with the one which i thought was best.
    You are however implying things which were certainly not printed in the review which i read.
    They did not say the Tosh had "best detail/contrast etc, with the best processing modes". It may have won the editors choice but it did not "win the test hands down" or "walk it easily". Four of the five sets were give 5 out of 5 for picture, but ignoring the Panny nothing was written which said "set x is better than y cos its picture is better in this or that respect". Taking the scores and the final award away, you could only conclude that four of the sets were equally excellent picturewise. Many superlatives were used for many of the sets.
    They also failed to mention the green trail problem with the Tosh, or that Loewe have consistently better build quality, geometry and lack of tube faults such as discolouration or dirtyness than the other manufacturers.
    Hope this clears things up.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I also had a 28ZD26P and went through 3 sets in total before sending it back because of the buzzing which was there even in the 50Hz Prog scan mode (albeit nowhere near as loud as 100Hz modes).

I can't say I had major problems with the geometry and the picture quality was good (the set will de-interlace anything fed to it in Prog Scan mode so you can still get a progressive image, albeit not as good as one from a decent DVD player's own deinterlacer, or Iscan), but the buzz was bloody annoying. Unfortuantely it was just something that wasn't apparent in a showroom where you've got background noise drowning it out.