Buying 2nd Hand Sky+ Box

BF1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my current Sky+ box. It's very noisy and sounds like it's the fan whirring up and down.

Sky want £65 to send an engineer who I know from experience will just replace with a refurbished box.

I have seen Sky+ boxes for sale on eBay about £20 and am considering buying one.

Once I install it is it a straightforward process to contact Sky and get them to `marry` it with my viewing card?

Thanks

Are you still in contract? if so - threaten to cancel and they should replace your box free of charge.

If not, buy a second hand HD box and you can pair the box to your card in a matter of minutes online or ring them up.

I am in contract but in fairness what you have suggested I have done for the past few years! This time round they've called my bluff and sent me a link to cancel!

My argument with them is that I have two boxes and they take it in turn to break down every year without fail! If it was any other electrical appliance the manufacturer would go out of business.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know they can be paired on-line. Presume the option to do so is on their website?

Thanks

I am in contract
My argument with them is that I have two boxes
Having two machines is all the more reason for them to replace the faulty one free of charge!

Having two machines is all the more reason for them to replace the faulty one free of charge!

They are not under any obligation to replace them as the machines are the property of the OP. The fact that they have before has no bearing on it. Statutory rights not affected of course.

So each box takes it in turn to break down every 12 months.

Have you considered pointing out to Sky that the sale of goods act says that goods sold must be free of defects, fit for purpose, and of satisfactory quality. This quality period has been tested in county court in the past, and the courts have decided time and again that this period is six years, not the one year that manufacturers offer.

Call sky's bluff, and then take them to court for the cost of the faulty box.... I'll bet they back down first, 'cos the first time they lose in court would open the floodgates.

So each box takes it in turn to break down every 12 months.

Have you considered pointing out to Sky that the sale of goods act says that goods sold must be free of defects, fit for purpose, and of satisfactory quality. This quality period has been tested in county court in the past, and the courts have decided time and again that this period is six years, not the one year that manufacturers offer.

Call sky's bluff, and then take them to court for the cost of the faulty box.... I'll bet they back down first, 'cos the first time they lose in court would open the floodgates.

One or other box breaks down every year, so on average each one lasts 2 years. So the best one could expect from SOGA is 2/3 cost of a new box as he has got 1/3 of estimated life. However as the box was provided free rather than sold 2/3 of zero is zero.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom