Buying 2nd-hand: Samsung BDP-1000, Sony BDP-300? Something else?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nuck_the_king, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Nuck_the_king

Nuck_the_king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Dear all,

I am considering one of these (I would tell you it's on sale in the classified section of avforums on this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-.../928299-sale-samsung-bdp-1000-85-inc-p-p.html but then you might all go and outbid me so I won't...oh....:oops:)

Anyway, I can get this for a few fivers under £100; but I could for the same money get a Sony BDP-300. Unfortunately the budget won't stretch to another £30-40 for a BDP-350 at the moment.

I basically rent films, and have SD-DVDs that I would hope the player would be good at upscaling.

I have a Yamaha DSP-A5, which accepts optical but not HDMI, and I will not be upgrading this in the near future.

I will be watching them on a Philips PFL9632D 32" LCD screen; so it's not as if I need the PQ for a top-range 50" plasma ;).

I have read bad things about 2-minute loading times and the inability to upgrade the player to read new discs; both of which, although not a huge deal, would be a bit of a pain in the butt...particularly if I am going to be renting newer titles. I have to say, though, that I very rarely (if ever) bother looking at the director's second cousin's boyfriend's sister's dog's audio commentary of the film :thumbsdow; so maybe I wouldn't need to be able to access those features anyway; just want it to play the d*mn film....:smashin:

Will the Sammy do the job; would I be better off going for the Sony: or is there another model that I should keep a lookout for 2nd-hand?

All replies and suggestions gratefully received :lease:.

Thanks in advance :clap:.

Nuck

2. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Does the BDP 1000 do audio re-encoding? I think that it doesn't. Given your need for an optical audio feed spend a bit more on the Samsung BDP1500. Its audio re-encoding capability is highly regarded.

3. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Of the two I would take the S300 over the Samsung any day...

However, unless you are really, really desperate to have one now, I would recommend some extra saving up and trying to get one of the newer players instead. They are from a usability perspective leagues ahead of both models.

4. Nuck_the_king

Nuck_the_king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The 1500 is around £140 - £150 new; so if I could find one 2nd-hand within my budget I would definitely go for it; but i've been looking for a few weeks and haven't seen any come up...:thumbsdow

Thanks very much for your comment, though.

Nuck.

5. Nuck_the_king

Nuck_the_king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks very much for that Ian; and you might well be right: after all, Sony 350s, Panasonic BD30s and Samsung 1500s are selling for £150 new, so perhaps I should wait a few months until either I've saved up more or the price has come down....BUT I DON'T THINK I CAN WAIT :devil::devil::devil:!!!!!!!!

I'm really impressed by the help that has already arrived and the lightning speed; anyone else got anything :clap:?

Nuck.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I still use a 1000. Very basic machine and not in the class of the others, I would not pay over £50 for one tbh. It plays all discs fine except compoinent outs on latest Fox releases. Support will likely stop soon for it however as I have had it getting on for 3 years now come July!!. It is also pretty stable but has few facilities (audio codecs), 24p. It is slow and un responsive. The DTS re encode on the latest Samsungs are a stunning feature.

7. Nuck_the_king

Nuck_the_king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Nic,

That is really useful to know. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Although I would still welcome anyone who thinks differently (particularly those who own a BDP-1000), I am more and more coming to think that it might be worth waiting........:suicide:

Damn damn damn damn damn.......:mad::mad::mad::mad:.

Perhaps I should have listened to Mrs. Nuck: "surely if you wait a few months, then the price of the one you want now will be within your budget second-hand; and we have just taken a cheap subscription to Sky HD movies; so do we REALLY need a Blu-ray player at the moment?". I hate it when she's right :(;).

I'll leave this thread open for a day or two for anyone to change my mind......:smashin:

:lease: :lease: :lease: :lease:?

Nuck.

8. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    You may well hate it but SWMBO is probably right.I know I received some haughty looks when I broached the subject,but my daughters had already bought me some recent release Blu-ray discs for Christmas so what's a guy to do..........
    Both of the players that you are considering wouldn't get much attention from me for the obvious reasons.They reflect the times when Blu-ray was trying to get a foot in the Stand alone Hi Def door in the face of the HD DVD competition.But thats an old story.
    I would strongly advise you to wait.In a few short months,Possibly weeks,new players are going to become available that the early investors are going to find irresistible so a slew of second hand decent kit will appear on the markets inc. these forums.
    I'm just waiting for the Oppo Blu player.Then my Sammy 1500 could well be boxed up and offered at a reasonable price.

Good Luck

KH

9. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,697
    From my own experience, I'd say steer clear of the BD-P1000.

I had one for a year, good points were it was easily modded via remote for multi-region SD DVD and it had analogue outs for audio.

Apart from that it was very slow to load some discs, even with the latest firmware, most notably the Pirates of the Caribbean and Spider-man trilogies.

Mine stopped loading BD discs 90% of the time too after 11 months, it would play SD fine, but it took several eject/re-inserts and powering on/off of the player to get it to play even basic BDs, let alone ones with any fancy content on.

Luckily it was still just within warranty and Richer Sounds no longer did them and it was deemed beyond repair, so, having already replaced it with a PS3 at the time, allowed me a store credit of £300 for it (this was almost a year ago) which was a bit of a result, as I'd have got nowhere near that, even on eBay, so managed to pick up my Onkyo 605 for £100 :)

Basically, steer well clear of the 1000, IMO.

10. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    On your screen you'll be pressed to see an improvement with HD but you will hear an improvement with the DTS re-encode. Unfortunately for you the re-encoding is so good :clap: that there may not be many BDP1500/2500 going second hand soon. You may have to buy a new BDP1500, if you can...

11. Nuck_the_king

Nuck_the_king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    So, the bad news (for me at least, if not SWMBO), is that I will probably have to wait. Poo-nation.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

But your rapid and clear advice has been exceptional. You should all feel proud to be part of such an active and useful public resource; I certainly am.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks very much to you all :smashin::smashin::smashin:.

Nuck.

12. Nuck_the_king

Nuck_the_king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    What is SWMBO? Love Mrs Nuck.....I'm sure I should be offended!

13. Graham N

Graham N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    She Who Must Be Obeyed :D

Graham

14. Nuck_the_king

Nuck_the_king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Once again, thanks to all for your excellent advice. I have just managed to secure myself a Sharp BDHP21 on the classifieds:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-...uos-bd-hp21-1-1-profile-blu-ray-player-2.html

for the princely sum of £95 delivered :thumbsup:; so I think that I have got a decent profile 1.1 player within my budget which will do what I want it to. Hooray:clap:!

Even Mrs Nuck is (reasonably!) happy.....:eek::D

So; any positive comments about this player are welcome; negative comments: you're too late, I've already bought it: so keep them to yourselves.....;).

Nuck.