Buying 2020 model year TV - annoyingly limited to Currys

bluerange91

Novice Member
Morning everyone,
Am a little embarrassed to be posting this but I was all set to buy a Samsung Q90T 65" TV. My employer runs a voucher scheme that gives cashback on vouchers through certain retailers. Currys was a better level of cashback than John Lewis and after getting Currys to price match the JL price with soundbar, I ordered £1000 of non refundable vouchers to put towards the TV. Then the TV went out of stock with no news of more. Huge frustration!

Assuming Currys get no more Q90T's and on the basis I can't just leave £1000 of vouchers unspent waiting for the washing machine to break, I need to find something else they have in stock. I'm leaning towards the Sony 65" XH9505. It's £1399 rather than £1249. Reviews look good and I have always had Sony previously. Is this better or similar to the Samsung Q90T? I'm not a gamer or a sports fan so its normal TV, netflix, movies etc. It's wall mounted with an offset viewing angle.

I'm so annoyed with myself but I'm stuck now so need to make the most of the situation!

Thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
As your other post maybe hang fire on the Sony for a few weeks

Dodgexander

Its a common comparison that's been made. Here's my past take on it:

But at 1400 the Sony is a bit on the expensive side currently. Its a risk that it won't sell out before its reduced, so its up to you whether its worth waiting or not to try and save extra money. TV pricing is very dynamic. With the Sony costing 1400 you may actually be better considering spending a bit more for an OLED instead like the LG BX or Panasonic HZ980.

bluerange91

Novice Member
Thanks, appreciate the advice/comments. I didn’t really want to £1400 so don’t want to go higher really. Think I’ll wait and see if it reduces.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Must say I am surprised at £400 diferential between 65XH9505 and 55" model.
JL are however offering a £100 giftcard with this TV. So you may be able to get a reduction in the Currys price. Don't worry about the warranty as the 5 year warranty with this TV is a Sony Warranty so not retailer dependant.
However I think even a £300 differential is still steep. BTW its a great TV

vickster

Distinguished Member
Pretty sure the 65” was £1199 only a few weeks ago, so the price may drop again.
The warranty may be with Sony, but you would still have to deal with Currys infamous Customer Services at least in the first instance as the purchase contract is with retailer not manufacturer.
Do they offer any sort of retrospective price matching should the price drop in the next 14 or 28 days like RS or JL respectively?

bluerange91

Novice Member
Currys will price match up to 7 days after purchasing. Will try and hold my nerve. My budget was initially £1000 and had already crept up to £1250 (actually more with the soundbar) so if it can come closer to £1000 I'll be happier.

pastrybloke19

Currys will price match up to 7 days after purchasing. Will try and hold my nerve. My budget was initially £1000 and had already crept up to £1250 (actually more with the soundbar) so if it can come closer to £1000 I'll be happier.
I would hold out for a price drop on the XH9505; cracking tv and well worth it.

Even if you need to delay the sound bar purchase to a later date, I would say it is worth it.

bluerange91

Novice Member
Morning,
According to Currys website, they now have more Q90T stock at £1249. The thing is, I now feel more swayed towards the XH95 but it's still at £1400. Is the Sony that much better?

pw365

Novice Member
If you can pop into John Lewis, I was offered the Q90T 65" Display Model with Delivery and 5 Year Warranty (he explained the TV has been off for most of the year). I was about to purchase and noticed in Clearance a New Q95T 65" for £1250, 5 year warranty and £100 voucher.

Buying online cant beat good service in store too

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom