Buyer beware. Enhanced regional coding.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Chris23, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am looking to buy a DVD recorder but want to be sure that the multi region that I buy will be Enhanced region code friendly. It appears that some internet vendors don't admit to knowing what ERC is let alone whether their multi region DVD recorders will cope.

Is there any way for me to find out before I buy? Are some suppliers better than others? Are some makes of DVD recorder better converted than others?

Chris

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    RCE has been on the go now for several years. There has been little comment on forums like this of non-compatibility of modified machines from the last, say, 3 years. So, on that basis, I'd suggest you are UNlikely to encounter one that won't play such titles.

AND.......the number of RCE discs is actually quite small, despite what some retailers might have you believe.

3. Harlen Quinn

Harlen Quinn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever I have bought cheap DVD players as gifts I usually try my R1 copy of Xmen on them, which is RCE and I've not known any of them fail to play it. Not a guarantee but anecdotal evidence that there is little to be concerned about.