Buy UK Or Canadian MiniDV camera?

kevenh

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've borrowed my dad's Panasonic NVDS15B to check if I'll make use of/get along with this type of thing (up to now I've only used point and shoot 35mm/digi cameras).

Assuming I get along ok with it, I've seen that for approx. £380 I could get the newer NVDS29B
Then I thought "hmm! What Panasonic camera could I get in Canada for the same $$$ (approx. Canada $1000 ?", and I found this: Panasonic PVDV202K .
It looks to be alot higher spec than the UK model :mad:

Anyway, my question, finally, any one else bought none UK models of camera's etc,? Any pit falls re. spares etc.?

Thanks for reading - look forward to your replies. ;)

Canadian camera will shoot in NTSC. Is this going to be a problem for you? You'll also need to get transformer to plug in battery recharger (I think, maybe not).

On the other hand Canadian model will have DV in and out enabled unlike UK model which is most likely just DV out.

Cheers

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

Thanks kiwiranger

I'd overlooked the ntsc/pal thing. :blush:

My TV plays NTSC or PAL but I think on balance for compatability with my peers I'd want PAL format.

The Canadian Digital Palmcorder® Camcorder's PV-DV102-K, PV-DV202-K, PV-DV402-K, and PV-DV702-K look like our NVDS29B (DV Out) and NVDS30B (DV IN/OUT) - well, except there's more of 'em :eek: .

And by the time you've haggled for a liittle discount on a UK camera the prices look a bit closer anyway.

Canadian Panasonic Cameras Spec

(I was going to post the similar UK camcorder specs but couldn't find them in a similar format - but briefly, the Canadian cameras look better equipped...)

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions, etc.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that you guys pay more for the privilige of DV in AND out. Thanks EU, thanks for nothing.

Warrenty and so forth should count for a bit too. If I was in your shoes I'd grab the UK model.

Don't forget good old Customs and Excise too - if you get electricals delivered from outside EU you will almost certainly get picked up and have to pay VAT and duty on top of it....

I know from bitter experience...........

Thanks for the continued feedback.

The price difference isn't really big enough to warrant (oh! sorry) the extra hastle with NTSC and the warranty, etc.

I would have been hand carrying the camera out of Canada, used.
Not impossible that I'd still get collared by customs, but if they didn't ask the right question(s)...

The hassle with NTSC would be enormous. Not to mention the picture quality, overall it's an inferior format to PAL.

Even if I lived in AMerica or Canada I'd rather shoot on PAL.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom