1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buy-tips surround setup neighbourfriendly

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by adevos, Jan 7, 2002.

1. adevos

adevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello experts, could someone give me advice?

I am about to buy my first receiver and surround speakers. The problem could be the neighbours. I want to watch a movie at night fully enjoying all the surround effects. I do not want the neighbours to smash my windows next day with stones and bricks.

So what should i look for so the bass and sound in general does not penetrate the floors and the walls? Is there something out there which limits the sound 'outside' of the room?

I heard that some receivers have a special 'Night mode' for full enjoyment of effects without having to set the volume very loud. Is this enough or should special speakers be bought aswell?

Finally: do you allways have to sit exactly in the middle to fully experience the surround effects? Or is there something on the market with the same effect and not have to sit in the middle?

Thanks for helping this newby!!

Arne (Holland)

2. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arne, firstly, have you thought about moving to a country where the population is less dense! ;)

There are a number of things you can do to sound insulate your system, and while I don't pretend to be an expert, I have a few tips for you.

Make sure your speakers are insulated from the floor, as this will reduce the transmission of vibrations and noise across the building. Floor standing speakers usually have spikes which help this, but you might also consider placing the speakers/ speaker stands onto a stone slab which will further help. Also, move your speakers away from walls (that is, don't place them 15cms from a wall, but try to have them up to a metre out). If you can, hang thick wall coverings such as decorative rugs on the wall, behind the speakers. This will deaden the sound and prevent too much noise going through the wall.

Similarly, you might avoid using speakers which have rear ports which are designed to bounce sound off the back wall. If your speakers do have rear ports, you can tune the sound by using foam baffles and this might help to keep your neighbours happy. If you are using a subwoofer, placement is not as critical as with other speakers and you could experiment by moving it to the far side of your room, away from the neighbour's joining wall.

I don't know of any speakers that would improve the use of the 'night mode' you refer to on certain receivers. All these do is change the balance between certain frequencies of sound, making speech a bit clearer and effects relatively less noisy (if I remember correctly!).

As to your last question, no you don't always have to sit exactly in the middle to enjoy the surround effects. Certainly, there is a sweet spot where you will enjoy the most benefit of the sound available, but it is not like you will hear no surround effects at all if you sit in a certain place. You will probably want to spend some time thinking about the accoustics of your room, the properties of your sound system, and then experimenting with positioning and height of the speakers before you arrive at their final placement. If you keep reading through old threads on this forum, you will find better and more extensive advice than what I have offered.

Good luck :)

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Nightmode is just a reduced "dynamic range"

it's like bass-boost in effect, where all the low frequencies are brought up, so you hear them more.

Car radios often have something similar called dynamic compression, this make it easier to reproduce music with smaller/less specified speakers.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Isn't bass-boast what the hooligans in their XR3i's have when the window is wound down so that all can enjoy their wonderful sound systems

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    aye its very simliar except these boys use a bass tube....to "enhance" their bass.......in reality the drivers are about 5ins big and fire towards each other, sound sh*t, and just boom.....and swamp everthing else higher than about 100hz...

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    you want all the effects but dont wanna pi.ss the neighbours off mmmmmmmmmmm.i dont think it can be done unlss you insulate your walls for soundproofing the whole point of the separates is to get the full effect.im not really sure you can solve your problem to easily mate.how loud do you wanna play it at night if your neighbours are that bad maybe you sould get some good headphones for night viewing thats what i do.but you will loose your surrounds obviously.

7. adevos

adevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Headphones for late night viewing is an idea.... Philips is selling wireless surround headphones, but these are expensive... around 250 Euro.

But I do not understand that almost no-one has problems with the sound levels?! Or maybe the loudness is not so bad??? The woover is maybe the biggest problem, or not? So this means I can buy whatever I want and isolate as much as possible!?

Thanks for the tips so far.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, about seating and placement, not the nieghbours

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    i solved the neighbours issue, by moving into a flat above some woman who is deaf!! And not too annoy the neighbours to the side, don't put a sub or any speakers near that wall....!!