Buy the New Nikons - D3 (FX sensor)..OR...D300 (DX sensor)???

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dealmaker, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

I'm looking to buy some lenses in anticipation of buying one of the new Nikon bodies - either the D3 or the D300. Notwithstanding the difference in price and size/weight - the key consideration for me is the issue of the sensor size.

For someone like me taking a whole mixed bag of subject types I'm looking for the greatest flexibility with as much clarity as possible. Both cameras will offer circa 12MP but clearly the pixel size will be bigger on the full frame D3 (FX model).

I seem to recall reading somewhere that if you fit one of the DX series lenses to the D3 it automatically halves the resolution :confused: - so clearly I don't want to buy the DX lenses right now if that is the case - I will stick to the regular lenses.

So question is - money no object, will I see a difference with the D3 and FX lenses? ...or should I get the (cheaper) D300 and DX lenses - with the added flexibility that this might bring - and accept I might always wonder if I should have bought the "better" products - especially if Nikon head off in this direction wholescale??

If I do buy the D3 and the non-DX lenses - what will happen in the future if I subsequently purchase a D300 as well and fit these lenses to it?

Thanks in anticiaption!

2. philaitman

philaitman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Nothing will happen apart from the lenses working fine. Loads of people us full frame lenses on DX Nikons, the 70-300VR 50mm1.8 both offer full 35mm frame coverage and work great.

TBH I'm totally underwhelmed by the whole full frame thing, yes you get a bit better high ISO noise performance, but the detail and quality benefits only show up for pixel peepers and very large enlargements. I'm sticking with DX all the way and will buy lenses which fit my needs.
    If Nikon ever go all models full Frame then attaching a DX lens jut forces a DX crop on the sensor loosing some res. But I'll still have great pics just less enlargement options.

3. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I'm a FF convert myself - shooting in a lot of low-light the noise issue is a biggie here (I know for a fact that the 5D has allowed me to get shots that would be been a mess with my old D2x/D200's). The DOF that FF gives me is superb. There's also something about the tonality and feel of the 5D that crop bodies have never matched for me.

If money is no object for the D3 my lens line-up would be:

Zooms - 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8VR

Primes - 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 105/2.8VR, 135DC

The D3 will be amazing, but it's very pricey and those 3 zooms alone will relieve you of £3700 or thereabouts. Add a couple of fast primes and that's another £1000.

4. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cant see that happening anytime soon, especially given the advantage of DX at the long end.Sports and wildlife Togs wont be happy bunnies and NIkon know it.

5. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Am I missing something here?

Why would you lose resolution with DX lenses on the full frame D3. The DX lenses should cover a full frame - at least after 24mm or so. I understand that the D3 has a DX mode which cuts the resolution down - but surely this is just an option?

I'm hoping that Nikon release another FF body sometime soon - I have no use for a D3, too big too heavy. I'd much rather have a '5D like' FF body in the D300 price range.

I agree with Radiohead - FF images seem to have a different quality about them. Having said that - maybe it's just Guy's portraits :rolleyes:

6. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    DX lenses are the croped sensor lenses? they wont produce a circle of light big enough to cover a FF sensor so the D3 will basicaly crop itself down to APS-C sized resolution I'm guessing.

7. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    You forgot the 300/2.8VR, a teleconverter, and the D300 as a telephoto body :D

Just to add an extra complication, the word is that Nikon will bring out the 'D3X' next year to complete with the Canon 1DsIII, (so probably 20MP+). The D3 is effectively the replacement to the D2h by all accounts.

If I were you, I'd buy a cheap D80 or D200 right now, along with some of the no-brainer glass like the 70-200 2.8VR, 85 1.4, 50 1.4, 105 2.8 VR macro and then a cheap 18-70 DX kit lens and have some fun until the D300/D3 comes out and they've worked the gremlins out of the initial production run! This also means, if you're insisting on the ultimate image quality, you'll be perfectly placed next year if Nikon bring out the D3Xs mid year.
    If you eventually go FX, then it might even be worth hanging on to a 10MP cropped body, for telephoto work.

8. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Or just pick up one of the cheap 5D's around at the moment ! :D

9. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    But they do - at least they do above 24mm.

10. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

................err...thanks! I don't know if I'm a whole lot clearer on what i should do - but let's see!