Buy the 3G iPhone or wait?

Tom`

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was going to be buying an iPhone 3G 8GB on the £35 , 24-month contract this week. Obviously rumours are rife that a new iPhone is immanent due to dwindling stock of the current model etc.

Now I'm in a predicament, do i get the current iPhone on a 24-month contract, or wait to see what price the new one will have at release, and if it's too much or the extra features don't interest me, risk not being able to find the cheaper 3G model?

I'm sort of desperate for a new phone, and 8GB of memory is plenty for me.

Does anyone have any idea on what features the new model may have upon release, or advise me on whether i should just bite the bullet and sign up to a contract tomorrow?

IN the same position

i am more likely to go for the deal on the old one, the new one will be more expensive and be hard to get hold of.

plus i too.... want it now

I'm in the same boat but I've decided to wait.

Also I'm going to buy a PAYG version of the phone and go on the O2 simplicity tariff as it works out cheaper.

Id personally wait.

24 months is a LONG time to be tied into a contract which in essence doesnt offer that great benefits for a phone which is nearing the end of its duration.

If you want a phone now, see if you can pick up a cheaper second hand phone and go on o2 simplicity. Then just sell it when the new one comes out (the prices wont fall drastically)

the new phone is rumoured to have a better interface, faster ram and processor, upgraded camera, upgraded gps, design, storage.

But what i don't want is for the 3G stock to run out completely, and then have to buy one off Ebay :(

Remember your 14 day cooling off period :smashin::smashin:

im in same position, im going to wait and see what happens though. . . I was also tempted to go for the arena too . . . But heard its just a rip off the iphone(but does have video capture and a better camera)

Thing is the new model will be more expensive (its expensive enough now) and the current model contract probs wont drop, because its only recently came down so maybe should just go for it now . . .

Well I decided to go for it today and upgraded to iPhone 3G. At first I was cursing my luck that my renewal had fallen at just the wrong time, but then I realised the Apple Keynote falls well within my 14-day cooling-off period, so if a vastly superior successor is announced I can always send it back or perhaps even negotiate for a better deal (a long shot, but you never know!).

Made me feel better about not having the willpower to hang on another week or two anyway!

The 14-day cool off definitely applies to the contract then?

If so, i'll go get one tomorrow :)

Thing is the new model will be more expensive (its expensive enough now)

Not sure on this - I think the contract prices will stay the same, or they may even go down? Didn't O2 keep the same contract prices when the 3G was launched, along with apple reducing the handset price compared to the 2G?

As this question has come up a lot over the past few weeks im stickying this until the announcement from Apple, whenever that may be.

Not sure on this - I think the contract prices will stay the same, or they may even go down? Didn't O2 keep the same contract prices when the 3G was launched, along with apple reducing the handset price compared to the 2G?

You could be right paul . . . Its just usually newer models have more expensive tariffs . . . But you could be right . . .

Remind me to teabag you dry on killzone

Like previously stated, I'm probably going to go ahead and sign up to a 24 month contract on the current model, and use the 14 day cool off period as my insurance policy.

If a newer model is announced at the WWDC that takes my fancy, I'll simply return it and wait for the new release.

I've just ordered my Simplicity SIM, as I'm currently on t-mobile. So I should be on O2 in time for Monday as i'm out of contract right now. (£19.58 per month for 600 mins, 1200 txts and unlimited internet on a month to month contract, ideal for the iPhone)

Unless there is something startling announced price-wise with regard the new model i'll be looking pick up a 2nd hand 3g sometime post-Monday.

I feel that 3g prices will take a little drop as the 2nd hand market becomes flooded with people looking to upgrade. :smashin:

Saying all that, if the new model is available cheaper than the current 3g models AND the £35 contract comes in cheaper than I might just be tempted to get the new one! :confused:

i was in this same situation on sunday. couldnt decide!

but i went for it and got it with o2 for £35 a month, 16gb black for £57 on a 24 month. its out for delivery today!

i ordered it through the carphone warehouse and had the same deal as with o2 BUT its got £45 quidco thats tracked straight away! :clap:

just have to find a decent case/skin now!:confused:

i was in this same situation on sunday. couldnt decide!

but i went for it and got it with o2 for £35 a month, 16gb black for £57 on a 24 month. its out for delivery today!

i ordered it through the carphone warehouse and had the same deal as with o2 BUT its got £45 quidco thats tracked straight away! :clap:

just have to find a decent case/skin now!:confused:

Are the Carphone warehouse O2 contracts still billed thru carphone warehouse or is it now O2 direct.

Like previously stated, I'm probably going to go ahead and sign up to a 24 month contract on the current model, and use the 14 day cool off period as my insurance policy.

If a newer model is announced at the WWDC that takes my fancy, I'll simply return it and wait for the new release.
Does this defo stand the cool off period?

I dont know whether to take out the business tariff either, the guy offered me it as i would use net from time to time to check works emails, and make odd work related call but i did say i doubt it would be 40% usage and how would they know, he said all they would do at most is ring you and ask if u use phone for business you say yes . . .

Tempting now to just order iphone off 02 site no business tariff but dont know

I've just ordered my Simplicity SIM, as I'm currently on t-mobile. So I should be on O2 in time for Monday as i'm out of contract right now. (£19.58 per month for 600 mins, 1200 txts and unlimited internet on a month to month contract, ideal for the iPhone)

Can you just stick in a "non-official iphone payg sim" and still get all the benefits?

I am also holding out for any anouncement today of the new iphone, its killing me though im absolutely itching to order one now. Believe me i will have one ordered by tonight if its not, tick tock tick tock:rolleyes:

Can you just stick in a "non-official iphone payg sim" and still get all the benefits?

I am also holding out for any anouncement today of the new iphone, its killing me though im absolutely itching to order one now. Believe me i will have one ordered by tonight if its not, tick tock tick tock:rolleyes:

Its not quite "PAYG" as its a month-to-month contract, but yes, you can put an 02 simplicity sim in an iPhone without the need to tamper with the phone in anyway(ie unlock etc) and get all the features (if you add them to your simplicity package as bolt-on's that is!)

You mean Monday ;) Only 6 days to go :D

Its not quite "PAYG" as its a month-to-month contract, but yes, you can put an 02 simplicity sim in an iPhone without the need to tamper with the phone in anyway(ie unlock etc) and get all the features (if you add them to your simplicity package as bolt-on's that is!)

Cheers mate, it does solve the issue of being tied into a contract for 18/24 months, of course you have the initial outlay of getting the phone on payg in the first place but then your only paying £20 per month for the simplicity sim.
You mention the the bolt ons are you referring to the unlimited wi-fi if so how much extra is that?

You mean Monday ;) Only 6 days to go :D

DOH! how the hell am i going to wait that long ive started clock watching already:thumbsdow Thanks for being the bearer of bad news mate, i must have mis-read you yesterday:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom