Buy Sony 49XH9505 now...or wait for another model next year?!

mikseymono

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi team....so...here's the deal...Having cocked up in buying my very average LG 49UJ651V almost 8 years ago....which now has about 18 led back lights showing in the background, is now unwatchable... my dear Wife reminds me almost every day how our old Sony Bravia is still so much better. At least if I just go for the Sony brand there is less of a minefield.

I have read these excellent guides and have found that within my budget of €1000 in Europe the Sony 49XH9505 is still just available online. I can now get this for around €850....from Germany Amazon.. I was thinking of waiting for the Sony XJ09 but this is still around €1300....so, alot more......

What are your general thoughts please? I was going to wait until next year but our current summer room TV (LG) is now dreadful/unwatcheable. All our local TV shops are pushing the much higher price TV's and none have the Sony 49XH9505.

My gut instinct is that my current LG was a poor purchase. Fact...and that I should come back to my beloved Sony brand..........but know that things have moved on a bit...hence the reach out.....

I mainly watch 1080p, Netflix...the odd 4k film online but no Blue-ray, 3m away in a semi bright room with viewing angles maximum at 30 degrees............50" would be the max really. It turns out that we watch TV every night for at least 5 hrs.......so think I really need a good screen to look at...at least!

Thank you for your thoughts..........

M

The Sony is a widely recommended TV and the best LCD TV you can buy without breaking the bank sub 55".
Providing you can watch the TV head on, and not at an angle it will be much better than your 2015 LG.

Thanks Dodgexander for speedy reply...........even at an angle of maxi 30 degree is this still OK?

Thank you...then I can push the big green button!

M

Excellent, thank you...the Wife will hardly notice...I'm head on obvs! Probably near 25 degrees for her really.....I have actually measured it.........so, all exciting. Can't believe I have closure on this...all I have to do is buy one now!

As a final, final...I guess the Sony XJ09 is no better, even if it were the same price? i.e worth holding out for next years price decrease on this model?

Thank you.

M

The X90J is the new XH90/XH92.

The new XJ95 is the replacement for the XH95 and starts at 65".

The X90J is a step down with HDR performance, and is overpriced presently.

Excellent. Thats a wrap then. Thank you. I shall sleep well tonight.
Just have to broker the deal to the cookie jar police now.......:)
M

Well, I've pulled the trigger on the Sony 49XH9505. All in, including delivery, £760 . So, not bad.
Had to broker the deal to the Mrs this morning and she was not sure on the splayed feet stand ....tbh I'm not sure either but know that there are some generic ones out there sub £30 if they are a bit clunky. Of course, she couldn't see the picture quality....so a bit of a leap of faith but through this excellent forum I am sure we have made the right choice....I certainly didn't on the last two TV's I bought....

She did ask if our old Humax/Foxsat remote could control the new Sony......I'm sure it does...but was also wondering if the Sony TV can control the Foxsat, as the Foxsat remote is a bit passed its prime?

Anyhows, v excited....can't believe it has taken us this long!
Thank you.
M

Most older remotes work via IR so it should still be able to control the Sony as it did with your old TV provided you set it up right. It may mean you need to delve into the manual for your remote and find the correct code it uses to program it to use Sony instead of LG.

Congratulations!

Thanks! Beyond excited........going to be at least another week until it lands..........any centre pivot stands you recommend with this TV? I can see the splayed feet are going to be a hinderance on my 35cm deep shelf.
Cheers,
M

I have this one and it's decent.

Amazon product ASIN B06XFDLDJK
However, these things are much of a muchness and just look for something that will take the correct size of TV you find aesthetically pleasing with decent reviews.

Looks good, thank you. I'm sure all will become obvious when I get it......if it can swivel around the middle about 20 degrees that will be excellent.

Nuts..I'm getting the run around from Amazon.de saying that the tv I ordered last week is no longer in stock...despite having an invoice/delivery info saying it's in stock..its sold by a third party so they are unsure when they will get more stock....bla de bla.....not impressed.......getting bad vibes all round so cancelled order.

So, for me here in France I can get the Panasonic 55HZ980 for just €999.
Forgetting the slight increase in price...is the picture quality better in the Panasonic? It seems a game of lottery to wait for the premium TVs to come down in price that is affordable against availability...as I am finding out with the Sony.

So, would you stick with the Sony of go for the Panny...............

Thanks

M

Last edited:
well, I've pulled the trigger on the Panny........went to the shop today with the 'Cookie Jar Police' (Wife) and looked good....as of course did most of the TVs there! But stuck to my guns....Wife wanted an LG that was next to it as the picture was better....she was right...but I managed to change the picture settings on the Panny to Dynamic and it was much better.

One sticking point was the stand...I know it is not a pivot stand but can you adjust the angle of the TV a little and then tighten up the four mounting bolts? Picture to assist.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5936.JPG
    IMG_5936.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 51
If you find vivid a better picture you may be used to using a TV in the past with inaccurate colours. The Panasonic you have is very accurate out of the box, but not in vivid mode.

I don't think the stand can be adjusted.

Thanks for reply. The stand will fit our shelf...I have done some measurements...because it is sawn off at the back...so not round..I can swivel TV 10 degrees around its central pivot and it will look fine. The Wife says so.........

Re the picture mode...my old LG certainly had inaccurate colours and chose this Panny solely on the reviews here and the ability to produce and accurate out of the box picture. Once the Wife agreed to the 55" I was on the Panny like a shot. I got it for €900 (about £770) in the end as they had an offer on. So that's pretty good really.
I am sure it will deliver the picture we are hoping for.....pick it up next Tuesday........exciting times!

M

Doesn't look like an adjustable stand to me.

I think you'd have to go with the likes of the one I linked to above for that.

Also, VIVID mode.... (shudders)

"Also, VIVID mode.... (shudders)". I know...but had to do this as a sneaky way to broker the deal to the Wife....;) TBH the programme was some dreadful daytime TF1 French soap opera......and she loves the bright snappy pictures.........anyway...all done now.......

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom