buy ps4 or stick to xbox

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by davieg1, Jun 22, 2015.

1. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have an xbox 360, and am thinking of getting a next gen console.
    The thing is, my son, who is 22 and is out working all day, has an xbox one and suggested to me, that me simply upgrading to an xbox one as well, would be a waste of time, as I work shifts and if I fancy a go on the xbone could simply switch on his at any time and have a blast.
    Oh and i am also getting a free ps vita next week, a gift from peter vardy, as I bought a car off them.

So I suppose my question is, how many exclusives are there on PS4, are they better than the muli-platform games, are the graphics a lot better or slightly better than the xbone.
    If I buy PS+ can I pick from a large backlog of free games, or do they only last for a while on the free download list.
    Also is the PS4 console with infamous second son a good deal @ £222 or the deal from bespoke with new batman game for £258 (potentially £227 with quidco) better?

Loads of questions I know, and am probably going to buy anyway.

Thanks for any replies

2. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Its certainly a good way to get both systems under one roof and will cover both bases.

In terms of exclusives, the X1 currently has more and that trend will go on for the rest of this year but this looks to be changing next year when Sony's exclusives come into play. Your best bet is to google PS4 exclusives to see if they are to your taste.
    The general trend is the PS4 is stronger in the multi platforms due to its stronger internals. Digital Foundry run regular face off articles on new releases if you want to get into details Eurogamer.net • Video game reviews, news, previews, forums and videos • Eurogamer.net. For me frames per second and screen tear is important and again PS4 generally delivers better results.
    PS+ will give you access to the monthly free games from the point of joining and going forward so you wont get the previous months. Also, you get PS3 and vita into the mix so you would benefit from a Vita point of view.
    Both those systems seem good value to me but I would opt for Batman as it will be the better game and you can pick up Infamous relatively cheap now.
    I have both systems and its nice to have that and you would be in the same position then.

3. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    ok thanks for your reply

4. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,370
    Graphics, effects and details are for the most part the same. The long-standing differences have been in resolution where PS4 more consistently hits 1080p and Xbox may lower resolution to match on everything else or offer a more stable frame rate.

Typically most factor in where their friends are playing, if multiplayer is a big thing for you that's usually the one that sways it one way or the other.

The Xbox has more of the games that I want to play, and game sharing is a big thing - I am unsure if this is as flexible on PS4. For me though I love Gears of War and Uncharted, and could not do without either. The primary reason I own a PS4 is for Naughty Dog's games.

If you want to Game Share on XB1, you and your son could have each others Xbox set as Home, and when you buy a digital game you get two licenses, one for you to play while connected to Live with the purchasing account on any XB1 console, and the other can be played on your son's Xbox with any account, offline or online, and vice versa.

The other thing worth factoring in, as you're a 360 owner, is that the Xbox One is now backwards compatible.

Xbox 360 games can be played on Xbox One, both your digital and disc games will work. It's only in Beta atm and the selection is small but is to be public by year's end and have hundreds of games available. The only big no-no's are 360 Kinect games and any other game that required a USB peripheral to play on 360.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  5. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    cheers wayne, backwards compatibility is not something that concerns me as I am keeping my 360 in any case. Firstly I would not get a great price for it and also I am keeping it for the kinnect games that i have , for some fun times with my grand daughter, when she gets a bit biggger

6. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  7. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Look at the PS4, are there games you want to play on it? Do you play online, do you mind paying for two online services in live and plus?

End of the day I would say if there are games on the PS4 you want to play that aren't on Xbox then get that.

But if not then you could save a lot of money if you bought a second X1 and simply purchased all games digitally and shared them. Then every game either you or your son bought could be played simultaneously by yourself and your son. In other words you'd pay once and both be able to play at the same time.

8. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I would not be paying for 2 online subs though, my son is 22 yr old and earns more than me lol, so the days of me paying for things for him are long gone. I can see your point though, but am not 100% up to date with this sharing lark.
    At the moment I have a gold sub for my 360, my son has just bought a sub for his account ( 360 and xbone). If I buy an xbox one, Can we reduce our 2 subs into one, or can we just share digital games by putting both our accounts on to each machine.

9. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Yes sorry, you can share games but will both need subs to xbox live to work across two machines.

If you share an xbox one then you only need one sub to live.

10. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    @davieg1

1. Exclusives: Ultimately the PS4 actually has more now as well as more in the pipeline even if the narrative sometimes doesn't seem that way. Xbox seems to get more credit for having a certain type of AAA first party game (e.g. Forza/Gears/Halo) releasing in the Sept-Nov period, whilst PS4 has had releases every month of the year. Ultimately it depends on what takes your fancy.

2. Multi-platform games: Favour the Playstation this generation in a similar manner to which they favoured the XBox last generation as PS4 just has much more under the hood than the XB1. How much this matters ultimately depends on your personal preference.

11. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,279
    get both if you can ,
    then you and your son can have the best of both worlds
    with the ps4 you only need to buy one sub and that will work with your account and set one up for your son while your on , and then he can play online too ,
    as said above there are some games coming out soon , which will keep you entertained for a while

after you have done that , kick your son out, he's 22 now earns more than you , so he should be out fending for him self :D
    keep the xboxone
    then you can have both consoles to play on :smashin::D just tell him it's a late fathers day prezzie from him .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    Sounds like you don't need two Xbox Ones, so get both.

Also with a Vita you can get "cross-buy" games, which mean you buy a single game once, but can play it on both the PS4 and Vita, e.g.: Helldivers. and also Remote Play a game from the PS4 to the Vita, e.g. on the bog or in the bath, and still play PS4 games :smashin:
    Also make that son pay rent: which will give you moar monies for moar games :clap:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. FlagshipDevice

FlagshipDevice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Not much to add that others haven't already said. I now own both systems and I'm very glad of that, means I get best of all worlds in terms of exclusives. If it was me, I'd opt to have both consoles in the house. That'll give you and your son the widest choice of games. As you work shifts, there should be ample opportunity for the two of you to enjoy both consoles. I do take the point some have made re game sharing on XB1, but you'd still only have access to the XB1 exclusives. With a PS4, you'd both have the choice of whatever you wanted.

14. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thank you all, think I might go for the ps4 , and tell my son about the game sharing scheme that is going on. His brother, my oldest boy, has moved out and has an Xbox one at his house, they can share games and play against each other.

15. FlagshipDevice

FlagshipDevice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Good idea. You and your son that's living with you will not only get the benefits of having both consoles but also the game sharing on XB1. Win win situation.

16. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    Just get a PS4, its better :)

17. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Ok then, will do

18. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Ordered ps4 with new batman game from bespoke. £258

19. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Do you want to play games with or against your son? If so, get an XB1.

If you are a single player kind of guy or don't like playing with him then get a PS4 and you both can have the best of both worlds. Btw, tell your son to take care of you and buy a PS4, lol.

Keep in mind that many games now have split screen co-op gameplay (but then again, many do not) so you could still play together in some games no matter which platform. Just don't duplicate purchases on different systems (unless he plans on moving out soon... in which case, get an XB1).

20. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Det......... look up man :D

The deed is done.

21. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Yah, he posted right before I hit Post Reply.

22. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    ok now to get some games. I have fifa 15 on PC and sons xbox1, what crackers have i missed on the PS4.
    There must be a few really good games that are must haves, and have been out for a while, that will be down to a decent price by now.
    Any tips welcome

23. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    New Batman released is supposed to be pretty good. I get mine today. But as for exclusives... what's your flavor of gameplay?

24. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I am getting Batman with the console. I like BF4 but have it on PC, COD fifa and a golf game, but am thinking I might try some of the horror zombie shooting types. I have a HD projector that I recently bought and would like to see how good the graphics from the PS4 will look on a 100" screen, compared to the xbox360.

25. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    I would say give Destiny a try, but it seems Bungie are too busy fleecing the consumer than providing quality content that lasts. So maybe give it a miss.

I'm honestly not sure what to recommend, lol. I've been playing through Thief lately and that's been good fun. Run around stealing stuff and knocking people out with a blackjack from behind. Killzone might be worth a playthrough. You can find it cheap and you might like it.

26. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Farming simulator? lol.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    The Last of Us (exclusive)
    Witcher 3
    Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (20 bucks) and then the New Order (good FPS games)
    Metro Redux

Plenty more.

27. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,279
    try :
    the last of us ,
    Metro redux
    tombraider

28. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    The Last of Us is absolutely essential. It's £19.99 on PS Store right now if you have plus.

Similarly Tomb Raider definitive edition is £10.49 and Metro Redux is £11.99

If you want something that will look spectacular then pick up a second hand copy of The Order 1886. It is graphically the best thing on the current generation of consoles. Game is a bit short and flawed but it's an enjoyable enough 6-10 hours of gameplay.

Other exclusive worth a crack are Driveclub and inFamous Second Son.

Upcoming exclusives worth keeping an eye on are:
    • Until Dawn (August)
    • Everyone's Gone to the Rapture (August)
    • No Man's Sky (possibly September)
    • Tearaway Unfolded (Nov)
    • God of War III remastered (July)
    • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (Oct)
    • Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls remastered (Tbc 2015)
    The last three of those are remasters of last gen games, but they were genuine highlights of the last gen.

29. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Also worth mentioning that the PS+ double discounts sale ends today at midnight.

30. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,279