1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy plasma now? or wait a while?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Member 55145, May 28, 2005.

1. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    I been looking at the new Panny 500. Only concern is its native res, should I wait till 1920x1080 panels are available? because if the standards are set at 720P and 1080I/P and the standard stays standard for even a 1/4 of the length of the previous standard, I think it'd be best to wait.

My main use of the Plasma would be for future games consoles (360, rev and maybe PS3) HI-DEF DVD's not sure of the native res on blu-ray/hd-dvd whichever they decide.

I currently dont have sky as I refuse to have a phone line just so I can watch tv!(Tho I do really really want sky!) and Im not getting NTL as theirs is rubbish. as for freeview whats the point? its got no decent channels on other than BBC1 & 2

So taking into account my uses, what do you think I should do?

another thing to note. I am VERY picky on picture quality I can easily tell the difference between composite/svideo/RGB or Component, I can also tell the difference between resolutions and cable interfference and demand the best of what I can get from my equipment. this also means I dont want upscalers/descalers/convertors/amps either just pure point to point native gubbins. ta muchly!

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Sky have chosen to follow the European standard of 720p/1080i HD broadcasting and as they won't be starting until early 2006 you can be pretty sure that this standard isn't going to change to rapidly. As far as waiting until 1920x1080 native resolutions on affordable plasma displays I think you'll be waiting for some time to come.

BTW you don't have to have your phone with Sky to subscribe, all they ask is that you have their box connected to your existing telephone line for the initial 12 month contract period.

If you're in the market to buy a new display now then go ahead and enjoy, if you're one of those who prefer to wait for the next big thing then you'll be forever waiting.