1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy on-line or local

Discussion in 'TVs' started by MARudge, Nov 13, 2003.

1. MARudge

MARudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a Panasonic PD30. Have read reviews and think I'll take a risk however I'm concerned about buying online uncase I have to return it (as seems to be the trend).

Price difference between local and on-line is about £300.

Has anyone got advice?

Thanks

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If buying mail order be sure to check what the service arrangement will be in Cornwall, if they say the word Endeva, then forget it because they no longer do contract work for anyone except Box Clever.
    If they say " don't worry mate, contact a local dealer " , best forget that too because generally local dealers aren't interested in helping these days unless they supplied the TV.
    If you are happy to keep your packaging for returning to your supplier for service to remedy problems large or small, fair enough go for mail order.

One idea that seems to work well is to buy from a store that has both a service network and an internet price match policy, such as John Lewis. That way you should get the best price, the best service and a " free " Five Year Guarantee, particularly useful for plasma purchases.
    Often it is a hassle trying to obtain a price match, maybe your independent local dealer will match a price but most won't because they see mail order as a bit " here today, gone tomorrow ". Some will price match if you just collect it from them though. A lot of them still think it's 1955. :D

In a nutshell, mail order best price but check the service situation too.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would personally go to your local dealer explain the situation and see what they say, if you are prepared to pay £300 for peace of mind then make sure they know you are prepared to take it back if faulty, some smaller independants may have trouble returning to supplier (panasonic) and may be less willing to let you go through 3-4 different sets before you are happy than one of the large reliable etailers.

4. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    This week I bought a Panasonic PS10 for my brother from a local dealer. We could have bought the set about £150 cheaper online, but having read that the set could have problems, we decided to go local.
    The TV was delivered the day after we ordered it but the picture was terrible, and, worst of all, a white band about an inch wide was visible down the centre of the screen. I rang up the dealer, and he agreed to change it for a 50Hz PS5, which is outstanding by comparison. The set was changed two days later. The old one was picked up and the new one put in it's place. All absolutely problem free.
    I'm sure not all local dealers are as good, nor will all online companies give problems, but at least you have someone to talk to face to face buying locally.

Brian

5. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    marudge,The best panasonic dealer in Cornwall for both price and service is HBH WOOLACOTT. telephone there Bude branch that is the hq.ask for the boss Martin and he will give you as good a price as you will get.

6. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0