1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Jpfahy, Mar 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Having just lost my VCR to make room for a PW7 Plasma 'tuner' box I'm looking for a PVR to replace my old Nokia 221t and get some recording ability back.
    However there seem to be a lot of 'improved' models just over the horizon (the new Panasonic, Humax, Topfield etc etc etc)
    Would there be something that offers the following around at the moment ?

Give as good a picture as my Nokia
    Twin tuner
    Twin RGB Scarts
    Chase playback function (records last 30 mins of TV)
    7 Day EPG
    Quiet Operation (very sensitive to this one)
    Good looks (if thats possible)

I was going to go for a Humax 8000 but it's only got 1 tuner
    Or the Thompson 4000 but it cannot chase playback and looks pants.

Has anyone got any advice ideas?
    Thanks

Jpf

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The Inverto PVR, which is due hopefully later this month looks like it ticks all the boxes. I currently have a Pace twin, which is near silent (unlike a number of PVR's which have a noisy fan - which in some instances stays ON even in standby) and looks credible under my panny plasma PW6.
    Many of the current breed (pace excluded) look more like a kids toy (dinky buttons). You really need 2 tuners :thumbsup: -

I'd suggest ever getting a Pace (ebay)or waiting till the Inverto comes out ... here's a link to a review..
    www.pvruk.com/2005/03/review_inverto_.html#more

3. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at:

http://www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/

Cliff

PS It seems the Inverto is just another sibling of Fusion and Thomson (same underlying chipset and low-level software) so all have same strengths and weaknesses (for example all just out RGB on ONE scart)

4. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'd say wait. The FVRT200 is due soon as is the Pansonic and the Topfield. That will expand your choice.

The topfield is able to dump files to PC via USB and although this take as long as recording you don't have the D->A->D conversions so PW is better and you then don't need a DVD recorder. And it has no fan so is silent. So that's worth considering even though it only has CVBS on the VCR scart.

5. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the replies and useful links (plenty of reading to be done) :thumbsup: !

On the downside, looks like I'll have to wait for a PVR (but I kind of knew that anyway :(