1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by emmaroids, Oct 22, 2004.

1. emmaroids

emmaroids
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bascially should i buy now or wait until the new year. i will be moving into a new house jan/feb so i am not in any rush to buy at the moment, but with the offers that are around at the momment is it good time to buy or will the prices start to drop in the near future?.

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    IMHO prices will always drop or you will get higher spec for the same money.

For example I predict that this time next year the Panasonic HD panels will be £2000 or less and there will have been further advancements in LCD.

Trouble is if you wait for tomorrow you will never have anything at all - you have got to take the plunge at some time and I can guarantee that whenever you do it, there will be cheaper/better models around six months later.

Personally, I wouldn't buy until you have moved house, because it is not that far away and you would run the chance of damage in the move.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung SDI: Pricing for 42-inch PDP TVs to fall to US$1000 by 2006
    Printer friendly

Latest news

Calvin Shao, Yokohama; Carrie Yu, DigiTimes.com [Thursday 21 October 2004]

Samsung SDI predicted its sales volume for 42-inch (plasma display panel) PDP TVs will double to 7.5 million units next year since prices are expected to fall to US$2,099, down from US$3,999 currently. By 2006, the price will fall to US$1,000, according to Chul-Han Bae, CTO, executive vice president and general manager of Samsung SDI’s PDP business division.

PDP technology is advancing quickly, and PDP makers are able to implement significant improvements in their models every six to nine months, Bae said. He noted how the expected life span for PDP TVs has grown to 60,000 hours, and the power consumption required by a 42-inch PDP TV is about the same as that needed by a 36-inch CRT TV. He also estimates that in the future the contrast ratio of the company’s PDP TVs will improve to 10,000:1, up from 3000:1 currently.

Samsung SDI is optimistic about the PDP TV market, and the company aims to increase the proportion of its PDP sales from 8% in 2003 to 28% in 2007, Bae said. Samsung SDI now has 26-27% of the over 37-inch PDP market, he added.

Samsung SDI currently has one PDP plant. It houses two lines, with respective monthly capacities of 50,000 and 80,000 units, Bae indicated. The company is constructing a second plant, which will also have two lines. These new lines will have respective monthly capacities of 120,000 and 160,000 units. The first plant mainly produces 42-inch PDPs, while the second will focus on 42- and 50-inch PDPs, Bae noted.

In related news, the South Korea-based maker posted its third-quarter results yesterday. The company’s PDP shipments increased to 210,000 units from 180,000 in the previous quarter. However, its revenues fell 3% sequentially to 256 billion won due to a 17% decline in its ASP (average selling price), according to a report by JP Morgan.

Samsung SDI 80-inch PDP TV

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They're pretty bullish, aren't they! We will certainly see the 1st sub-£1000 plasmas this time next year, but sub £2k Panasonic HD? Not too likely, the thing is a different animal to the SD model, too much technology to get to that price. But a year ago who'd have thought the SD would be £1600! Half the discount price it was then. There is a limited amount more to go though, the top makers are rejecting 80% of plasma glass at the end of the glass production line. This is where most of the money goes. You are actually paying for 5 panels. It's been a theory of mine that some makers reject less glass, have lower standards and lower prices. As they say, there is nothing in the world that can't be made more cheaply by being made worse.