Buy Now Or Wait For HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Timbo21, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'm thinking of buying a Denon 2910 or 3910 for use with projector & for music.
    Currently I use my sony RDR HX900 for main DVD playback, which is pretty good
    (haven't bought the PJ yet by the way).

The thing is I don't want to have an obsolete machine in 2 years time.

Should I carry on with my Sony & wait for a universal HD DVD which will play
    SD DVD's, DVD-A, SACD etc. or..... Splash out on a 2910/3910 now? :confused:

2. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I am personally in the same situation and am opting not to wait but to buy something now as in two years HD wont be the mainstream it will still only be the enthusiasts who are taking it up.

So if you fancy upgrading, just sell the DVD player in two years time and get something then. I would imagine that you would re-coup quite a bit of your outlay even in 2 years time.

Plus think of the 2 years of pleasure you will get rather than waiting for HD :) lol

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Partly I think it depends on the size of your SD collection and whether you expect to replace it with HD versions if/when they appear.

Presuming you don't then you'll want to retain the ability to view them in as good a quality as possible even if you do go HD later on for new stuff.

I think the one thing to bear in mind is that if you do go HD then you'll presumably also get an HD display, in which case you'd be well advised to go for something like a 3910 or Pioneer 868 which scales via digital. That way you'll maximise SD quality (well, short of spending £1K or more on an external scaler) in an HD system.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    HD is very exciting but by the time it becomes mainstream it will be a year or two which in terms of AV is a lifetime.

For £100 both the Pioneer 575 and Samsung 745 are great value. Trouble is I couldn't decide so went for both... then there's the 15m DVI cable, and component cable... hey, I could have nearly bought a Denon... :)

Go for it!...PJ :thumbsup:

6. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you were going to buy a 3910 it would be worth waiting in my view. from what ive read, hd-dvd will be here at xmas for around £1000 which isn't a great deal more than the denon. im in the same position and will wait it out.

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It is absolutely unclear at the moment whether HD-DVD or BD (blu-ray) will "win" any format war(s) for HD replay. Neither format will get released in Europe for at least 18 months and it is actually quite likely the two will coexist for some while, so which would you buy? There are shades of SACD vs DVD-A here, two minority formats chasing a minority market, ensuring neither succeeds. It is also unlikely that most such machines would excel at CD replay, unlike the better Denons, or the Arcams (which are better still!).

CD will continue to dominate the quality music market and conventional DVD the video one for at least another 5 years, probably nearer 10, ensuring the widest choice of material. So it makes complete sense to me to buy a really good CD/DVD player at this time, to get the best out of your existing and medium term future collection.

Hope this helps.

John Dawson (Arcam)

8. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Thanks for your advice guys. I want a really good CD/SACD player as well
    & as JD points out it probably will be unlikely that an HD-DVD player will excel
    here, or at least excel at SD DVD, HD-DVD, CD, DVD-A & SACD all at the same time. I think I'll go for it with the 3910. :)