• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BUY NOW OR LATER IN 2009 + SONY vs SAMSUNG

techaholic

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm been looking at 40" TVs for a while but dont know whether I should wait until Aug / Sept to make the purchase. Can you advice.

I will mainly use TV for SKY and PS3. Can anyone recommend Sony or Samsung?
Looked at Sony 5500 and thought the pic was good...but ugly TV.

Samung B6000 LED and some of their other LCDs look the buiness...what do you think.

Can anyone help? Also...after HDMI cables...does anyone know of any decent sites where I can get good branded ones for cheap? QED / IXOS etc?

Cheers!

jacob_avf

Standard Member
For Sony I'd wait a month or 2 (new Z series in Jun-July) though it really depends on how much you want to spend, new low/mid-end models (V, W, WE) have just been released while we're still waiting for the new higher-end models.

As far as HDMI cables go just buy the cheapest you can find. As far as I know HDMI cables don't need all the fancy shielding & gold connectors & stuff to block out interference/noise the way composite cables do.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I'm surprised you find the Sony TV's ugly. IMO they have far better styling and looks then the Samsungs. I guess it's a personal preference at the end of the day.

techaholic

Standard Member
I've got a max of £1200 to spend on a TV.

I really like the look of the Samsung LED - and the B6000 is priced well - but don't know if Samsung will release a replacement later this year and this is still new technology.

Went to the Sony centre yest and saw the 40W5500 (5710 in the store) and the picture looks good.

Any advice?
Has any experienced time lags with these brands on PS3?

jacob_avf

Standard Member
I've got a max of £1200 to spend on a TV.

I really like the look of the Samsung LED - and the B6000 is priced well - but don't know if Samsung will release a replacement later this year and this is still new technology.

Went to the Sony centre yest and saw the 40W5500 (5710 in the store) and the picture looks good.

Any advice?
Has any experienced time lags with these brands on PS3?

Input lag on the 5500 series is meant to be bad, read some reviews. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about the Sammy.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
You can get the 7 series Samsung LED for under £1200.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom