1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy New player now or wait?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by blasthand, Jun 20, 2005.

1. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi All,

Was looking at purchasing a new DVD player in the next couple of months or so with HDMI - or should I wait until HD/Blu-Ray players come out? Don't want to waste my hard-earned cash only to find the new player redundant in 6 months or so :eek:

Cheers,
    Mark.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The problem with all AV equipment is that for the foreseeable future there will always be the 'next big thing' just arround the corner and so you potentially will always be waiting for X to come out (and when it does Y will be out next year so you may as well wait for that).

Personally I decided to buy a new DVD player but went for the Panny S97 rather than the Denon which I was intending to get as I was happy to pay £150 for 2-3 years use and then look at what has happened with HD

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Its also worth remembering your own functionality has a finite lifespan. Its pointless pushing back the purchase of something you will get enjoyment from because your own lifespan is finite and you might as well make the most of it. There will always be something cheaper or better that comes out after you have made your purchase. So there is never a good time to buy. With this in mind you might as well buy now if you want it now.

4. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat, I've decided to wait and see what happens in the meantime with HD discs. It's very tempting buy an LCD and HD player but I'd be too worried I was wasting money >,<

5. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. Majority verdict seems to be 'buy now'. I was under the impression that HD DVD players would be with us in the next year. Seems that ain't gonna be the case though! I shall save my pennies and in August sometime purchase my new player - preferred choice currently is the Denon 2910 to go with the new plasma that's coming...who knows what'll be new by August though, a whole 2 months away - an age in AV terms! :D

Cheers,
    Mark.

6. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep i second that, marantz have probably the best line up of dvd players being released this year ,4500,7600,9500 all good quality machines.
    Only downfall is u cant order them online,have to be bought from shop.

7. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

Thanks for the advice re the player...I'll check the Marantz range out. With regard to only being able to buy in the high street (slightly off-topic here...) I had to go hunting around to re-source my new amplifier today as Superfi had to cancel my order as they have been informed by Yamaha that they are no longer allowing online retailers to sell their high-end goods, or similar such statement. So another one to the list of 'high street only', I can understand the reasoning behind it though, but I didn't realise the RXV1500 was classed as 'high end', personally I would have said it's a mid-range choice...oh well.

Cheers,
    Mark.

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100% Agree, it will be a good few years before these new formats get a good start, you will be waiting a long time.
    Buy now and enjoy what is already a very good format. :)

Regards
    John

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I wouldbn't touch a Marantz unless they have improved considerably in the last few years. I had a couple and they were the worse DVD players I have eever had. I should have read the reviews at the time. The worse thing was pressing a button on the remote and waiting for it to decide to carry the function out.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I've noticed a lot of the higher end dvd players are slower to operate than very cheap dvd players. I put this down to the fact the dvd drives are often slow 1x units that maintain a more accurate rotational speed to eliminate jitter and reduce loss of detail with regards picture and sound data and improve audio cd playback.

11. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    The Marantz players I had were certainly not high end. They were rubbish. I would thought all DVD players should be spinning DVD round at 1x DVD speed.

It took over a minute to recognise and disc in the players and I don't want to have to wait seconds longer after pressing stop or pause on the remote.