• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

buy new cars on internet discount places

dilfred

Has anyone used drivethedeal, buyacar arnoldclarke etc. online?

I was looking at these sites and others and they seem to offer upto 25% off a new (unregistered) new car delivered to a forecourt near you.

It seems too good to be true, I cannot quite work out if it is a good deal or not?

Has anyone used them before and what was the outcome?

gken74

My friend has used DrivetheDeal twice and I was going to use it myself until I managed to get the dealer to price match, it took a lot of haggling but eventually they did.

Drd

Likewise, I've used their prices as evidence to drive down local dealer prices many times over the years. It seems if you look at the small print many of these cars are either pre registered, or are not registered to yourself until 6 months or so after you have 'bought' them. On this basis I explain to the local dealership I would much rather keep them in business if they can get close to matching the advertised price. It's never failed me yet. After all, the dealers can sell at full price to someone else and just take a small profit from me, there's no shortage (usually) of new cars.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I've done it both ways.
I've gone to a local (Renault) dealer and challenged them to price match internet prices.
They came close enough that we did a deal.

I've also bought a pre-registered car (Hyundai) where we had to wait 6 months before we got the V5.
This means they have it on their books as a demonstrator, they get a discount from Hyundai, and that discount is passed onto me.
I got a 0 mile Hyundai IX35 for £14400.00, which is the lowest price anyone on the IX35 forum has seen.:thumbsup:
I had a receipt for the car, so the lack of V5 for a few months isn't an ownership issue.
I wouldn't recommend one way over the other, both were fine.

Drd

In the present economic climate I would be concerned if I didn't have the V5. If any company where to go bust then almost certainly the receivers would have a claim on the car and it's unlikely you would get your cash back.

lmccauley

I had a receipt for the car, so the lack of V5 for a few months isn't an ownership issue.

In the present economic climate I would be concerned if I didn't have the V5. If any company where to go bust then almost certainly the receivers would have a claim on the car and it's unlikely you would get your cash back.

If you have a receipt to say that you own the car, I don't see that any receivers would have an interest in the car.

Drd

Well, you live and learn! I was always led to believe the V5 was proof of ownership, but it appears it's not. My apologies for talking absolute drivel!!

lmccauley

Well, you live and learn! I was always led to believe the V5 was proof of ownership, but it appears it's not. My apologies for talking absolute drivel!!
No problem - we all live and learn. I mean, I'm perfect, obviously... ;)

I just remembered, a V5 explicitly says that it's not proof of ownership:
new-red-v5c-certificates-37097-image1.jpg

cunny678

Distinguished Member
I've also bought a pre-registered car (Hyundai) where we had to wait 6 months before we got the V5.
This means they have it on their books as a demonstrator, they get a discount from Hyundai, and that discount is passed onto me.

We bought a new citroen years ago at a huge discount. The reason we were given that they kept the V was that the dealers couldnt get it at that price and would therefore buy there stock and sell it on as new! Probably just sales spiel, but we were happy and as you said had proof of purchase. V5 turned up exactly as promised.

This is site we uses about 6 years ago:- Cheap New Car Deals | Discount New Car Prices

1jim

Have used drivethedeal, broadspeed and more recently orangewheels previously

All brand new, I was first registered keeper, was out in touch with main dealer who sorted everything including finance etc, orangewheels and broadspeed dealers took part exchange as well.

No issues with any of these and would use again.

Bought Citroen Picasso through drivethedeal deal...as it turned out this came from our local dealer, when we went in to them to discuss car and tried to get price down they insisted that drivethedeal was a scam and car couldn't possibly be bought for that price!! Loved going back in to collect that car

Bought ford Ka via broadspeed, I remember that dealership sayings hey sold each Ka at a loss but by selling volume they received a bonus from ford which made up the loss and provided the profit. I think they may charge a fee now though although this will still be cheaper than dealer direct

Bough Kia sportage through orange wheels, couldn't get any dealer near to far to match the price,

So for me, it's a look around dealers, test drive, decide what I want, get broker price, back to dealer to see if can bargain and then back to broker to order. I'd always pay deposit in credit card as that way you are covered if it all goes bum up, but to be honest I wouldn't worry, my experience has been entirely positive

Pistachio

I have used drive the deal. It did feel a little strange at first as they would not tell me which garage would provide the car (a ford focus) or where to collect it from - they wanted me to commit to buying before giving the details out. It was well worth it in the end, i got a cracking deal and I would certainly do it again to get the saving. It is nice going into the main dealership knowing you are getting a really good price, rather than trying to negotiate a small discount with a sleazy salesman.

One word of caution, it was not a local garage who ended up supplying my car, I think it was about a 30 min train ride (but still a main dealer for ford). I think when they ( drive the deal) negotiate prices, it can be dealers who have not met their sales targets who are prepared to sell cars at the discount just to boost their sale numbers - this means they are not always especially local.

Good luck.

KeithO

lmccauley said:
No problem - we all live and learn. I mean, I'm perfect, obviously... ;)

I just remembered, a V5 explicitly says that it's not proof of ownership:

Absolutely! I once let a friend of mine drive my car whilst I was working in USA for a year or so. I put her on my insurance, and when the tax was due, she went and re-taxed it. A couple of weeks later a brand new V5 turned up at her house with her name on it. The DVLA didn't even bother trying to contact me to see if the car was still mine.

deantown

Distinguished Member
Have used drivethedeal, broadspeed and more recently orangewheels previously

All brand new, I was first registered keeper, was out in touch with main dealer who sorted everything including finance etc, orangewheels and broadspeed dealers took part exchange as well.

No issues with any of these and would use again.

Bought Citroen Picasso through drivethedeal deal...as it turned out this came from our local dealer, when we went in to them to discuss car and tried to get price down they insisted that drivethedeal was a scam and car couldn't possibly be bought for that price!! Loved going back in to collect that car

Bought ford Ka via broadspeed, I remember that dealership sayings hey sold each Ka at a loss but by selling volume they received a bonus from ford which made up the loss and provided the profit. I think they may charge a fee now though although this will still be cheaper than dealer direct

Bough Kia sportage through orange wheels, couldn't get any dealer near to far to match the price,

So for me, it's a look around dealers, test drive, decide what I want, get broker price, back to dealer to see if can bargain and then back to broker to order. I'd always pay deposit in credit card as that way you are covered if it all goes bum up, but to be honest I wouldn't worry, my experience has been entirely positive

Thanks for the Heads-Up on Orangewheels, I have been looking at them wondering how they can get these Discounts. Now for a couple of Test-Drives at local dealers and I will probably make an order with Orangewheels unless anyone knows of any cheaper places to try.

Frostytouch

deantown said:
Thanks for the Heads-Up on Orangewheels, I have been looking at them wondering how they can get these Discounts. Now for a couple of Test-Drives at local dealers and I will probably make an order with Orangewheels unless anyone knows of any cheaper places to try.

What models are you looking at out of interest?

deantown

Distinguished Member
What models are you looking at out of interest?

I have narrowed my search down to 2 cars. I started off thinking about getting a honda crv ,vw tiguan,ford kuga,hyudai Ix35 or a mazda cx3. Then I decided that as I only use a car for short journeys (mainly to the golf club) I realised that I did not need that size of car. So then I concentrated on the vw golf (which I drive at the moment) audi a3 sportback,bmw 1 series or the volvo v40. I think I have narrowed my choice down to the Audi or the Volvo. I drive my mrs to despair,she reckons it will take another year before I make my mind up. It won't, but it is a lot of money and I just want to make sure I make the right choice.

CDphobe

:mad: I don't understand this country. When are we all going to wake up and realise we can't eat our cake and have it? I've nothing against discount systems operating via the internet, but if that's how you want to buy then do so, don't go to a dealer, use his facilities (test drive, advice etc) and then look to take the internet saving as well. If everyone does this it will gradually drive dealerships out of business, or change the business model so that they start to charge for test drives. I know the argument of "I don't want to pay for all the smart showrooms and commission of salesmen" but it is us, the buying public, that over the years has caused garages to go in that direction. I'm not in the motor trade, and I'm not in a sales job, but I have seen companies fold (in other sectors) where they have categorically stated that they couldn't keep offering the service expected when people abused this and then went to buy from internet warehouses - mainly AV and hifi.

I'll get off my soap box now.

1jim

But the cars are sold through main dealers

It could be that the Internet sales keep them afloat, attract business they wouldn't ordinarily get

As I said above we got our Ka this way, they sold each car at a loss but made up for it with a bonus from ford. Other dealers could do the same

FZR400RRSP

Banned
But the cars are sold through main dealers

It could be that the Internet sales keep them afloat, attract business they wouldn't ordinarily get

As I said above we got our Ka this way, they sold each car at a loss but made up for it with a bonus from ford. Other dealers could do the same

Precisely.
I bought our car from a main dealer in Milton Keynes, pretty far from where we live in Aberdeen.
Without the internet, not a chance he'd have got my business.
He might well get our repeat business too.
Really, the times of local dealers dealing with local people are long gone, he admitted himself that without internet sales he'd be struggling.

CDphobe

The cars are sold through main dealers because that's the only route to market. Irrespective of whether the manufacturer gets the same sale ("they're sold through main dealers") what happens at the retail level? If you can't identify which dealer will supply ahead of a purchase then I assume that you don't test drive ahead of a purchase? If the MK dealer gets your repeat business FZR then I assume you'll go to him for the test drive first? Likewise, since deantown has narrowed it down to two and elected to purchase via an internet route, I assume that the decision will be based on specification sheets and recommendations from friends and forum members? Come on guys, let's not be naive about this, using one dealer for a test drive or look around a car and procuring through an internet route for supply through another source is going to cause problems in the market in the medium to long term. How many people on here wouldn't admit to going into camera shops or major electrical retailers to take a look at a product, maybe get some advice or ask some questions, and then buy from another source off the internet? The items are still supplied through a valid outlet, but that hasn't helped the likes of Jessops or Comet has it? Given the only route to sale is via a dealership at present I can either see that changing, or dealers charging for these services with a "refund" should you then elect to buy. As for dealers struggling without internet sales, one has to wonder why all dealers don't have to go down this route - levels of service perhaps, or some other factor that attracts business? I'm not saying a dealer supplying via internet companies has poor customer service, but I'm pretty sure there will be some underlying issue that either separates them from those doing better, or is indicative of a manufacturer struggling in the UK market overall.

Anyway, we make our own choices in life, I just hope the future of retail sales allows for something other than warehouse only in the future,

Al

Gerbil

I don't expect something for nothing but dealers need to be realistic. I took a new Golf for a test drive a month ago. DriveTheDeal can source the model I was interested in for a £3K discount. The dealer I took the test drive with tried using Jedi mind tricks with GAP insurance and 3 year servicing supposedly thrown in. When I got home and looked more closely at the figures he was giving me £500 off list price. I'm willing to pay some premium for him giving me a test drive but why would I pay £2500 extra for what amounted to an hour of his time?

To be honest I hate the whole process of haggling with car dealers. Having a DriveTheDeal price to hand is just one way of cutting out some of the needless BS that seems to accompany the whole car buying process.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I should point out that when we bought our Hyundai 'off the internet', it wasn't via a broker.
The dealer was advertising it at that price on Autotrader.
And that price was as good as brokers, if not better.
So whilst I can't comment on internet brokers, I can comment on the pre-registration and waiting 6 months for the V5 situation linked with some brokers.

gangzoom

Distinguished Member
The cars are sold through main dealers because that's the only route to market. Irrespective of whether the manufacturer gets the same sale ("they're sold through main dealers") what happens at the retail level? If you can't identify which dealer will supply ahead of a purchase then I assume that you don't test drive ahead of a purchase? If the MK dealer gets your repeat business FZR then I assume you'll go to him for the test drive first? Likewise, since deantown has narrowed it down to two and elected to purchase via an internet route, I assume that the decision will be based on specification sheets and recommendations from friends and forum members? Come on guys, let's not be naive about this, using one dealer for a test drive or look around a car and procuring through an internet route for supply through another source is going to cause problems in the market in the medium to long term. How many people on here wouldn't admit to going into camera shops or major electrical retailers to take a look at a product, maybe get some advice or ask some questions, and then buy from another source off the internet? The items are still supplied through a valid outlet, but that hasn't helped the likes of Jessops or Comet has it? Given the only route to sale is via a dealership at present I can either see that changing, or dealers charging for these services with a "refund" should you then elect to buy. As for dealers struggling without internet sales, one has to wonder why all dealers don't have to go down this route - levels of service perhaps, or some other factor that attracts business? I'm not saying a dealer supplying via internet companies has poor customer service, but I'm pretty sure there will be some underlying issue that either separates them from those doing better, or is indicative of a manufacturer struggling in the UK market overall.

Anyway, we make our own choices in life, I just hope the future of retail sales allows for something other than warehouse only in the future,

Al

I think what your talking about is how the future of retail/shopping is going to go as a whole. The concept of the "high-street" is not set in stone, the whole point of capitalism demands profits to be made irrespective of the means, which isn't always moral or ethical but is efficient and productive, as demonstrated by how capitalism has pretty much taken over the world.

People like Ford and Taylor changed the entire concept of manufacturing, and that was only in the last 120 years or so. Who knows what the future of goods distribution will be like?? Consumers will always want the best quality product at the cheapest price, and if advancing IT/distributing solutions remove the need for the middle men/women than I cannot see how any high-street will be able to survive in the future....Still its interesting Apple Retails shops turn in a huge profit, despite not ever offering any sales and employing lots of people!!

FZR400RRSP

Banned
TBH, I also find the concept of test drives a bit old fashioned.
I know loads of people, myself included, who simply don't bother.
Don't have the time, or the dealers don't have the model you want to test drive anyway.

"I'm interested in the diesel M-sport saloon"
"ooh, we can let you drive the SE estate petrol"

Pointless, as nothing, not even the seats or the steering wheel, will be the same!:facepalm:

I tend to do research and decide from there.
Purely as an example, I'm getting more and more interested in the Evoque.
I would quite happily order one right now, without a test drive.
I know it will be fine, is there really any such thing as a bad driving car now??

I didn't see my particular TV working before I ordered it.
I didn't hear my Vita Audio ipod dock before buying it.
I took all the positive tests at their word, and they were right.

lmccauley

TBH, I also find the concept of test drives a bit old fashioned.
I know loads of people, myself included, who simply don't bother.
Don't have the time, or the dealers don't have the model you want to test drive anyway.

"I'm interested in the diesel M-sport saloon"
"ooh, we can let you drive the SE estate petrol"

Pointless, as nothing, not even the seats or the steering wheel, will be the same!:facepalm:

I tend to do research and decide from there.
Purely as an example, I'm getting more and more interested in the Evoque.
I would quite happily order one right now, without a test drive.
I know it will be fine, is there really any such thing as a bad driving car now??

I didn't see my particular TV working before I ordered it.
I didn't hear my Vita Audio ipod dock before buying it.
I took all the positive tests at their word, and they were right.

Different things are important to different people. I test drove a S2000, fully expecting that it would be a "tick the box" exercise, but I came away disappointed and decided to continue looking for something else. My parents test drives mostly seem to consist of driving home and checking that my dad's model aeroplanes can fit in the boot! If you're over 6 feet tall, then I'd recommend at the very least that you sit in a Boxster before buying one, as you may not fit comfortably, depending on the length of your legs/body/arms. Likewise, I'd recommend test driving a Civic Type-R before buying, because you might find the ride hardness unbearable - many don't, but some do, and don't realise until they have actually experienced it.

The difference between a car and a TV or ipod dock is that it will usually be an order of magnitude more expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom