Question Buy me a drill please

canada16uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi I was looking at new drills and was looking at the dewalt DCD796 but did not realize it was a hammer drill which I assume I cannot or dont really want for general screwing of wood.

I want a brushless drill, and can spend £150.00 for a kit, batteries and charger included

Would prefer a up to date model, unless there is something special from previous brushless models.

I dont mind if its got a 5ah battery as will be buying a 2.0ah for lighter duties.

I cant get my head around all the model numbers and this is my first drill NOOBIE ALERT

Thanks all

I see the DCD795 dewalt is pretty cheap, but unsure if there are any makita offerings which are better for 150.00 ish

Easy

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-c...ess-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/9372p

Now B&Q were doing this set recently with, I think, a 5aH battery set, for about £200. Barring an SDS drill, which takes much larger, sturdier bits (serious hole-making), this should be all the kit you’d ever need. Plus you get an impact driver thrown in.

Makita used to make mini drills, think they’re discontinued now, and even that would have done you fine. I have one for work and home, I’ve drilled through concrete and steel with it.

Does that help?

I seen those 10.8v ones, but thinking I may need more power.
I will be cleaning my car seats with a drill brush so will need something with a bit of teeth.
I like the look of that 18v set, its a bit more than the 996 from dewalt, but you get 2 dills for anothe 20.00
I probably will use it around the house and using for hanging curtain poles through brick walls.
So tempted to get the 18.v set.
I hear some horror stories with dewalt, nothing really about makita.

There is a Milwaukee M18 with 2 batteries for 170.00 but it seems like a very old model and not rated very good, also its not brushless.
Thanks binkobonko

Just looked more none of them are brushless, am I putting too much thought into brushless, are they worth it compared to the brushed?

Don't waste your money on big name brands if you only need for domestic use. I had my house renovated and the builders go through a lot of tools. They recommend the Titan range from Screwfix, they do a cordless with 2 batteries and a large chuck, for domestic use should last for years. I bought it and very good, check the reviews. I've a few Titan items now and they are quality.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908p

Also, if you feel you have to go with the big brands get the blue and not the green versions, Bosch would be a case in point. i have a heavy duty SDS drill which i picked up in Costco

Once you start looking at brushless the cost increases a bit. It is better but whether you need it is a different thing, depending on the use the drill will get.

I’ve recently upgraded a few of my drills and opted for the new Ryobi One brushless drill. It’s about £95 for bare unit. A 4ah battery about £55 and a charger about £30. But you may find a better deal. Or opt for a smaller battery.

However for a do it all drill it genuinely knocks spots of the Makita and dewalt I had previously. And I hate to say it, but I think it’s on par with my Milwaukee brushless which was about 3 times the price that I also have.

Decisions, decisions!

I will add that I have two Titan chainsaws, both highly rated and have been fine, though they are distinctly “domestic”, i.e., I bought them for cutting logs for my wood burner, and they cope with that. Ideally, I’d have wanted a bit more power than I needed, but then the price shoots up.

Still, better to have it and not need it, than vice versa.

Two batteries are a must. You don’t want performance anxiety..

Don't waste your money on big name brands if you only need for domestic use. I had my house renovated and the builders go through a lot of tools. They recommend the Titan range from Screwfix, they do a cordless with 2 batteries and a large chuck, for domestic use should last for years. I bought it and very good, check the reviews. I've a few Titan items now and they are quality.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908p

Also, if you feel you have to go with the big brands get the blue and not the green versions, Bosch would be a case in point. i have a heavy duty SDS drill which i picked up in Costco

I can see that drill has good reviews and it's stupid cheap, but it's only got 40 torque and 1400rpm. Looking for a drill to use everywhere. Don't want to drill a hole in metal or concrete and wish I had a better drill.
This drill will need to do most things apart from building a house lol.
Also I had a titan wet dry vacuum and it was terrible, dust flew out the exhaust as it did not have a paper hepa filter, completely useless for fine dust, and yes the collection bag was inserted.

:thumbsup:
I can see that drill has good reviews and it's stupid cheap, but it's only got 40 torque and 1400rpm. Looking for a drill to use everywhere. Don't want to drill a hole in metal or concrete and wish I had a better drill.
This drill will need to do most things apart from building a house lol.
Also I had a titan wet dry vacuum and it was terrible, dust flew out the exhaust as it did not have a paper hepa filter, completely useless for fine dust, and yes the collection bag was inserted.

Fair enough, if you are after a do it all drill then go for it. i needed a handy cordless for general jobs and screwdiving with adjustable torque, anything major and the SDS gets rolled out as goes through reinforced concrete lintels like butter but a big two-hander.

I have used the titan to drill through paving slabs with no issue at all but my comments were more directed and someone who just wants a drill but ends up buying over specced over priced for what they need. you clearly know what you're about :thumbsup:

I have the DeWalt DCD996. Works well and I’d happily get the same again. Pretty good hammer action for a general purpose tool. Plenty of torque adjustment and it just stops when tight, not the ratchet noise of previous tools.

I have the DeWalt DCD996. Works well and I’d happily get the same again. Pretty good hammer action for a general purpose tool. Plenty of torque adjustment and it just stops when tight, not the ratchet noise of previous tools.

Well as I was considering the DCD796 for £150.00 or a DCD996 for £180.00 I decided to go for the later, an extra 30.00 seems a no brainer for what you are getting in the 996

The 996 seems to be as good if not better than the fully Chinese made Milwaukee M-Fuel which are £300.00+

I was looking at Makita but the like for like version for the 996 is a heck of a lot more.

From youtube videos, people are seriously impressed by the 996, non biased reviews, just general shoot out tests.
Yes i may not need the full on torque power of the 996 right now, but what if I do in the future.

Remember to register it on the DeWalt site for the 3 year warranty. Needs to be done shortly after purchase.

Remember to register it on the DeWalt site for the 3 year warranty. Needs to be done shortly after purchase.

Thanks for the heads up.
Wish they had a bank holiday save 10% but thinking I am asking too much considering the savings already on it.

FFX are on eBay and there is 10% off.

Well, just pulled the trigger for the DCD996 at FFX for 180 00
Can't wait to get my car seats and headliner is spotless

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom