Buy in the US or UK

benny5

Established Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 to use during my holiday in the States. The question is, is it better to get one here before I go and pay more or get one there and pay less.

My concern surrounds guarantees and maybe import duties if it's picked up on the way back.

Anyone faced a similar problem in the past.

Many thanks.

I am considering buying a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 to use during my holiday in the States. The question is, is it better to get one here before I go and pay more or get one there and pay less.

My concern surrounds guarantees and maybe import duties if it's picked up on the way back.

Anyone faced a similar problem in the past.

Many thanks.
No, no and no.

HOWEVER, the warranty will be USA only. You will likely save some $$$. Check with the vendor and see if they can assign an international version or advise if Panna UK will honour the USA guarantee.

Got an old looking camera bag? Put it there . . . A-dolf @ Customs won't give you a second look (assuming they got up that day). Also, the battery charger will have the Yankee 2 pin plug on it. Get an adapter or cut the thing off and weld on an English 3-pin version.

You all have a nice day now!

No, no and no.

HOWEVER, the warranty will be USA only. You will likely save some $$$. Check with the vendor and see if they can assign an international version or advise if Panna UK will honour the USA guarantee.

Got an old looking camera bag? Put it there . . . A-dolf @ Customs won't give you a second look (assuming they got up that day). Also, the battery charger will have the Yankee 2 pin plug on it. Get an adapter or cut the thing off and weld on an English 3-pin version.

You all have a nice day now!

Thanks Pirate for such a rapid response.

The BIG question is will the savings justify all the effort ?????

Regards

Benny.

Thanks Pirate for such a rapid response.

The BIG question is will the savings justify all the effort ?????

Regards

Benny.
ALWAYS! Just keep an eye on the $-£ rate and calculate from that. No effort involved . . just a warm feeling that HM Treasury didn't get their beer money from YOU!

EDIT: Remember to ADD state taxes to the price.

I just did a quick check on the web and it looks you can get the camera here for just over 200 quid and in the US it is about 299 dollars (plus sales tax) so you can save about 50 quid. I reckon that's worth it. However where are you going in the States? Pick the biggest city and find a camera shop there and check if they have what you want in stock - wifes/girlfriends can get a bit p!ssed off spending the the first day or two if their holiday traipsing around camera shops ;)

Also check the UK duty free price - you never know!

Try and get it in the airport tax free before you go - will be 17.5% cheaper as no VAT, no problems with warranty or customs - if you are flying from Heathrow then check out dixonstaxfree.com and order before you fly to collect at airport ... got my D300 body at T5 and saved over £200 - and that was just flying London > Glasgow ;-)

Jon

Post the box to yourself, or a family member if you would like to keep the packaging.
Carry the camera home as if you have always owned it.

Great stuff, all of that.

The possabilities expanded with the duty free option. I am going to San Francisco first and as the OH has a Panny FX33 it removes the pressure to buy at touch down.

Anyone know if the 'charger to mains' lead is the same for the FX33 and the FZ18.

Once againg many thanks to all.

Regards

Benny.

I was in Dubai recently and some of the Panny Camera boxes I saw in the shops claimed 3 yr international warranty - cant remember which models.

The warranty situation does vary between manufacturers / product groups e.g. Nikon provide international warranty on lenses but not on DSLR bodies. I discovered this by ringing Nikon Customer Services here in the UK before I imported a lense.

I would buy one in the US if I was you. Ditch the packaging and bobs your uncle, its just the camera you took with you, hows customs to know?

Friend of mine got a Cannon IS lens over in the US last time he was over there, saved a packet, way more than he would have even in duty free.

Warranty is a bit of an issue though. Best to check is they come with international warranties.

Hi

I got this very camera when over in the states a couple of months ago. It is excellent and I would say buy it there and save yourself some money. The charger that came with mine as has no lead the 2 pin US fitting is intergrated into it and flips into the back of the charger. I need to find a cheap charger for the UK that was the only minor downside.

I see you are going ro San Francisco first there were several camera shops down by on the main road near pier 34 that had it in stock for round the $300 price when I was there.

Hope that helps and PS go to Alcatraz in the morning as if it is a misty morning you can get some nice pictures

ALWAYS! Just keep an eye on the $-£ rate and calculate from that. No effort involved . . just a warm feeling that HM Treasury didn't get their beer money from YOU!

EDIT: Remember to ADD state taxes to the price.

So Pirate, in light of your recent experience are you still so enthusiastic about overseas purchases?

Pirate mentioned keeping an eye on the exchane rate...
General Tip for anyone travelling abroad regularly....

Get yourself a Nationwide Flex Account and stick some money in it before you leave the country.

You will get the best possible exchange rate - wholesale VISA bank rate and no fees of any kind.

Almost all other banks charge a per transaction fee and/or a conversion fee.

On my trip to Dubai recently I consistently got between 7.25 and 7.35 AED exchange rate on all my purchases and cash withdrawals. The best rate I could get from any retail Forex provider in this country was 7.05 - most were offering much less.
Plus the lack of per transaction fee meant that I didnt have to keep large sums of cash on me - just took out £100 at a time on most occasions.

I paid my hotel bill on the card too and I reckon I was at least £100 better off than if I had used other debit of credit card.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom