Buy iMac now or wait?

shirt44

I'm looking to purchase either an iMac 21.5 500gb or 1tb, would I be wise to wait until next month for the sales or not?

Spoonhead

I'm looking to purchase either an iMac 21.5 500gb or 1tb, would I be wise to wait until next month for the sales or not?

Apple products don't generally appear in sales. You missed last Friday's 24 hr event with £81 off an iMac, but there won't be any reductions come January. Apple don't need to shift old stock like PC vendors do.

However, over at Macrumors.com, their advice to only buy if you need to, as it's coming up to a possible refresh. Nothing known for sure, but I would hold out if you can.

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

Gazza

shirt44

Thanks for the link, some conflicting views over on the forum there as it could be 6 months before any new developments appear. I will probably go and buy one from J. Lewis as they offer the free 2 year guarantee to go with it. Would they price match Lasky's though, as they are selling the 500gb iMac for £936.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Ever considered a refurb direct from Apple? There aren't any 21" machines now, but if you keep on looking on this page...

johnbusby

...or know any students or university workers. Some substantial discounts and benefits if you do :)

johnbusby

Also, if you have the space and the cash I would heartily recommend buying the 27 inch

Timbo21

10% off all iMacs at Best Buy stores as part of their closing down sale if there are any near you

Yup, they were doing that iMac for £899

dc8900

Distinguished Member
FYI, Quidco have £100 cashback on macs from DSG at the moment

MAGiK

get a 27" for the extra would be worth it 100% and then also I'm a student and get 15% off in store or over the phone! so find a student!

that is the biggest discount, can also get 3 years apple care for £45

keefysher

Until 6/1/12 Apple are doing interest free credit for 10 months. Either online or in store if you ask. Basically the store put the application through, but the unit comes from warehouse stock to your home.

Apparently, due to fraud, Apple stores cannot give you the unit from their store stock. What is the world coming to? :devil:

Befriend a drunken student over the holidays period and use their discount. You only need to show a valid student card, where the money comes from don't matter.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Until 6/1/12 Apple are doing interest free credit for 10 months. Either online or in store if you ask. Basically the store put the application through, but the unit comes from warehouse stock to your home.

Apparently, due to fraud, Apple stores cannot give you the unit from their store stock. What is the world coming to? :devil:

the joys of living in a world of scammers and fraudsters, means honest folk have to wait a couple of days to get their new mac, annoying isn't it.

Neorion

Novice Member
FYI Apple credit is mega hard to get though.

My missus tried and didnt get it for whatever reason. Not to divulge too much but she makes a lot and has no issues getting credit with anyone else.

We just wanted to spread payments rather than whack out a lump sum.

I would buy a mac from these very forums to be honest, I always look here before buying new on most things as you pay what the item is worth and for me at least have no issues.

shirt44

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up buying from John Lewis, got myself the 500gb iMac. I'm very impressed with the simplicity of using one, the only problem I'm having is connecting the Apple airport extreme to my NTL 250 modem. Other than not being able to connect the Extreme, I'm very happy with my purchase and wished I'd made the switch years ago.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Glad you're enjoy the new machine mate, any questions do ask :smashin:

flew21

Novice Member
I too am looking to get an iMac-the 27" 2.7 version. Just wondering what if any the issues are in not buying it via the Apple website. For example it seems as though I can get it for over £100 cheaper via Amazon, or with cashback at Quidco from other retailers. But is there some disadvantage I've overlooked in doing this. Also, do i need to buy appecare at the same time and the same place, or can this be done seperately/later???
Why do people buy direct from Apple if it can be got cheaper elsewhere?

Many thanks for the advice, and Merry Christmas!!

johnbusby

Off the top of my head - 14 day no quibble money back period if you don't get on with the new machine. Apple are also doing 10 months interest free at the minute

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I too am looking to get an iMac-the 27" 2.7 version. Just wondering what if any the issues are in not buying it via the Apple website. For example it seems as though I can get it for over £100 cheaper via Amazon, or with cashback at Quidco from other retailers. But is there some disadvantage I've overlooked in doing this. Also, do i need to buy appecare at the same time and the same place, or can this be done seperately/later???
Why do people buy direct from Apple if it can be got cheaper elsewhere?

Many thanks for the advice, and Merry Christmas!!

For today only there is 10% Quidco on all macs at the Apple Store!!! I posted a thread about it earlier today: http://www.avforums.com/forums/appl...ly-10-quidco-all-macs-online-apple-store.html

I think people just buy from Apple simply because it's direct as well as their 14 day no quibble return (even on opened boxes), if you buy from a reputable retailer or any Authorised reseller that is cheaper that is fine and you shouldn't have any problems.

For the Apple Care, you don't need to buy it at the same time and you can buy it anytime within the 1 year standard warranty.

flew21

Novice Member
Many thanks to you both for the quick replies. By pure chance i checked my email after posting and saw the quidco one about 10% off, so have gone ahead and ordered!! Can't think of a better reason to go the Apple route than that!!
Thanks again for your advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG offers best ever OLED prices - for one week only
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches Bravia XR A80J OLED TVs in Europe
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window