buy HTC hero sim free or go contract?

blobq

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

i was wondering if its best to go sim free or go contract? looking at contract with mobilephonesdirect.co.uk 18month 300 mins unltd txt & unltd internet for £29 a month phone cost is £87.99

i was thinking of changing the tarrif after 9 months to £25, the mins etc are still the same.

The sim free phone is around £360 so i would look at getting a sim only from voda for say £15 a month + web bolt on.

would the contract be the best option?

Do some math's :p...

But helping aside 18 month contract plus the £87.99 for the phone = £609.99

Phone for £360 plus 18 month's at 15 pound a month = £630

The only advantage i see is you are not going to be tied in to a 18 month contract and could sell your phone after 12 month's and upgrade.

It's all prefrence on what is going to be the best deal for you :)..

I got it on a £40 12 month contract from mobiles.co.uk - HTC Hero - Great Mobile Phone Deals on Vodafone

300mins, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet, total payable over 12 months £480, saving you approximately £150.

This is comparing a 12 month contract to the OPs 18 months (just in case anyone doesn't realise). Might be fine for the OP but just thought I'd chip :devil: :nono: :D

Dez

i think im going for 18month contract @ £30 p/m then change to £25 p/m after 9 months.

30x9 = £270
25x9 = £225

total for 18 months £ 495, handset price is £90 total of £585.

this is for 300 mins, unltd txt & mobile internet on voda (white handset).

Im getting this from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk

other option was Paying £25 p/m for 18month = £450 & they wanted £177 for the handset that totals £627 saving £42, does not seem alot but i dont have to fork out £177 for the phone

I've been debating the same options myself but I've finally ordered a sim free Hero today.

Hero £360 ish
O2 simplicity 800 mins/web bolt on £20 per month (with £100 cashback)

Hopefully O2's web is up to the job otherwise I'll be looking for another option :suicide:

i just got the htc hero on orange
400mins
unlimited txts
1gb of internet (data normally 500mb but i got it doubled just to be safe)
free phone
=£25pm/18month

t-moblie have a good online deal at the moment on the g2 700mins unlimited txts 3gb of internet for £32/18month

I've been debating the same options myself but I've finally ordered a sim free Hero today.

Hero £360 ish
O2 simplicity 800 mins/web bolt on £20 per month (with £100 cashback)

Hopefully O2's web is up to the job otherwise I'll be looking for another option :suicide:

Hi
where did you get the £100 cash back offer?

i just got the htc hero on orange
400mins
unlimited txts
1gb of internet (data normally 500mb but i got it doubled just to be safe)
free phone
=£25pm/18month

t-moblie have a good online deal at the moment on the g2 700mins unlimited txts 3gb of internet for £32/18month

Where did you find the orange deal? Sounds like a great deal.:smashin:

has anyone got the white hero? which is better brown or white, i think the white looks nicer but the handset is more expensive than the brown

any thoughts?

I received my white Hero today, had a brief look & like it so far.

I found the brown/black Hero to be dearer the the white (sim free).

Where did you find the orange deal? Sounds like a great deal.:smashin:

call orange up and ask if they can beat the t-mobile deal combie 30 £27pm + the internet @£5 takes it to £32 inc online 10% discount 800mins unlimited txts and 3gb internet,

guy said he would see, and come up with the deal with 500mb, but i said i had been on the forums and that it may not be enough so got it upgraded to 1gb

goodluck

I have this phone SIM free on an O2 SIMplicity rolling 30 day contract :(. I am going to give it up as a) the handset is now going so slowly (and that's despite using 'Advanced Task Killer) it's a complete pain in the proverbial and b) the network coverage on O2 in my area (Oxfordshire) is complete tosh! I am seriously considering moving over to Three with my soon to be unlocked iPhone 3GS - roll on 30 days is all I can say! :clap:

In terms of cost, I think I paid about £360 odd quid for my HTC and pay £20/month (plus VAT of course) on the rolling contract. If I don't go down the Three/iPhone 3GS route, I may opt for the Three/Blackberry Bold 9700 route! Any comments gratefully received. Thanks for reading chaps (and chapesses!). :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Best,

Toria

has anyone got the white hero? which is better brown or white, i think the white looks nicer but the handset is more expensive than the brown

any thoughts?

I prefer my white hero. It has the nice teflon backing to it, and you can get a smart white pouch for it from the HTC shop.

I prefer my white hero. It has the nice teflon backing to it, and you can get a smart white pouch for it from the HTC shop.

Yes, but that nice white front picks up very hard to shift stains from leather carrying cases.

got my white hero for £350 of amazon back in october and i was on three, it was pants and drove me mad, i'm now on the £20 o2 sim only deal which is far better and i can actually use the internet on my phone at home now.

the best thing i found to do when weighing it up was to work out the total for the contract and then get the equivalnt monthly cost, i think the way i worked it i pay less over 2 years than through a network and can always either ditch the network when i want or buy a new phone as i see fit, if i was to be made redundant or something i'll be ok because i'll jump to PAYG

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom